Doklam standoff end in sight: India, China begin to pull troops out from site, says Indian MEA

08/28/2017

NEW DELHI, Aug. 28: There may be an end in sight to the Doklam standoff indicated the Indian external affairs ministry (MEA) on Monday as it announced that both Indian and Chinese troops are slowly being pulled out from the face-off site.

"...expeditious disengagement of border personnel at the face-off site at Doklam has been agreed to and is on-going," said a statement from the ministry.

The MEA is calling this process the 'Doklam Disengagement Understanding' and it comes after weeks of sustained diplomacy.

The move comes ahead of the Brics summit, which will be attended by leaders from five countries, including PM Narendra Modi, in the Chinese city of Xiamen in early September. It also comes before a crucial 19th party congress in China where Xi Jinping expects to be "cleared" for another five years, after which he will choose the core group of leaders who will rule China, also for the next five years.

India and China have been keeping diplomatic channels open ever since the border incursion by China on June 16, in what's called the tri-junction area at Doklam, which is in Bhutan. This, despite strident rhetoric, especially from China, and especially from its state-backed media. The external affairs ministry said that over this period of time, New Delhi has conveyed its views to Beijing.

"In recent weeks, India and China have maintained diplomatic communication in respect of the incident at Doklam. During these communications, we were able to express our views and convey our concerns and interests," the ministry's statement added.

TOI reported in early August that there were indications the Chinese could be winding down their offensive posture on the plateau where they had brought troops and heavy machinery to build a road on Bhutanese territory. Government sources said diplomatic efforts to resolve the standoff had achieved satisfactory progress, but hastened to add that it would be premature to rush to a judgment about China's intent.

"They appeared to have lowered the ante on the ground, but we are keeping our fingers crossed," a senior official told TOI, making it clear that India would not relent on its demand for simultaneous withdrawal by both countries.

Still, Beijing and its media's strident rhetoric continued unabated.

Just last week, China intensified its criticism of India on Thursday while discussing reports that India was building a road between Marsimik la to Hot Spring in Ladakh sector.

"It seems that the Indian side is slapping its own face," Chinese foreign ministry spokesperson Hua Chunying said.

Also last week, China issued a travel advisory for its citizens in India or coming to India. It cautioned its citizens against infectious diseases and natural disasters.

 

 

 


"There frequently occurred natural disasters, traffic accidents and infectious diseases in India (sic),"said the advisory.

 

 

 


This was Beijing's second advisory to its citizens and suggested an attempt to create a scare and reduce the flow of Chinese tourists to India in the hope that New Delhi will come under pressure. China rarely issues advisories to its citizens concerning countries in Africa and Asia which are subject to a lot more natural disasters and infectious diseases.

Also last week, China issued a travel advisory for its citizens in India or coming to India. It cautioned its citizens against infectious diseases and natural disasters.

 

 

 


"There frequently occurred natural disasters, traffic accidents and infectious diseases in India (sic),"said the advisory.

 

 

 


This was Beijing's second advisory to its citizens and suggested an attempt to create a scare and reduce the flow of Chinese tourists to India in the hope that New Delhi will come under pressure. China rarely issues advisories to its citizens concerning countries in Africa and Asia which are subject to a lot more natural disasters and infectious diseases.TOI

Related News

India, France ink €7.87 billion agreement for 36 Rafales

NEW DELHI, 23 Sept : India and France on Friday concluded an Inter-Governmental Agreement for the purchase of 36 Rafale fighter jets at a cost of €7.87 billion, the first fighter aircraft deal since the purchase of Sukhois from Russia in the late 90’s. The deal was signed by Defence…

Let's fight battle to build a better nation and see who wins: PM Modi to Pakistan

Mohua Chatterjee| TNN | Updated: Sep 24 : KOZHIKODE: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday broke his silence on the Uri terror attack and tore into Pakistan for its role in supporting terror in the region. At his first public rally since the Uri incident, PM Modi challenged Pakistan - not at conventional war - but in…

Terror as state policy is war crime, Shah tells Pakistan

KOZHIKODE,September 25 : The BJP on Sunday reinforced Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s message to Pakistan, with party president tabling a statement on the terrorist attack on Uri, positing it as one in a decade-and-a-half of terror strikes against India by Pakistan. BJP president Amit Shah described Pakistan as a country…

Pakistan not getting support in UN on surgical strikes issue: Akbaruddin

UNITED NATIONS, Oct. 1 : India has said that Pakistan approaching the United Nations on the issue of surgical strikes by the Indian Army across the LoC has not found any resonance in the world body and rejected claims that the UN mission monitoring ceasefire “has not directly observed” any firing…

Pakistan still in anaesthesia after surgery, says Parrikar

DEHRADUN/NEW DELHI, Oct, 2 : Pakistan is like a patient who has been given anaesthesia and doesn’t know that surgery has already been done on him, Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar said on Saturday. The Minister’s remarks are first comments from a member of the Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) following the…

Baramulla: It was a terror attack, not a case of friendly fire, says Indian BSF

NEW DELHI, Oct. 4 : The Indian BSF denied reports of "friendly fire" resulting in casualties during the terror attack on the Baramulla camp even as speculation swirled about tense nerves leading to firing late on Sunday night. The border force said terrorists struck at a joint Army-BSF camp and this claimed the life of one…

Video

Find Us on Facebook

From Social

Tokyo (Japan), Sept. 13: A new leadership assumed responsibilities at the Non Resident Nepalese Association (NRNA), Japan on Sunday. The new office bearers took oath of office and secrecy after a long fought battle resulting from dissatisfaction from those who…

Lama led officials assume responsibility in NRNA Japan