UK extends coronavirus quarantine period from 7 to 10 days

07/30/2020

London, July 30: People who test positive for coronavirus or display some of the obvious symptoms must self-isolate or quarantine for a period of 10 days instead of just a week, the UK’s Chief Medical Officers announced in a guidance update on Thursday.

Until now, those displaying symptoms such as a new continuous cough, a temperature or loss of taste or smell were asked to self-isolate for seven days. That period has now been stipulated as 10 days, in line with World Health Organisation (WHO) guidance.

“In symptomatic people, COVID-19 is most infectious just before, and for the first few days after symptoms begin. It is very important people with symptoms self-isolate and get a test, which will allow contact tracing,” the Chief Medical Officers (CMOs) for England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales said in a joint statement.

“Evidence, although still limited, has strengthened and shows that people with Covid-19 who are mildly ill and are recovering have a low but real possibility of infectiousness between seven and nine days after illness onset,” they said.

England CMO Professor Chris Whitty, Northern Ireland CMO Dr Michael McBride, Scotland CMO Dr Gregor Smith and Wales CMO Dr Frank Atherton said that they reviewed the self-isolation time-frame to reduce risk to the general population.

“At this point in the epidemic, with widespread and rapid testing available and considering the relaxation of other measures, it is now the correct balance of risk to extend the self-isolation period from seven to 10 days for those in the community who have symptoms or a positive test result,” the CMOs said.

“This will help provide additional protection to others in the community. This is particularly important to protect those who have been shielding and in advance of the autumn and winter when we may see increased community transmission,” they added.

The move follows concerns of a feared second wave of the deadly coronavirus across Europe, which has recorded a death toll of over 1,81,000 from COVID-19.

“I am worried about a second wave. I think you can see a second wave starting to roll across Europe and we’ve got to do everything we can to prevent it from reaching these shores and to tackle it,” Hancock told ‘Sky News’.

“Absolutely, on a second wave it is something I worry about and I worry about it because we can see it happening,” he said.

The government has held meetings to discuss which other countries should be added to the list of those not exempt from a 14-day quarantine rule imposed on travellers after a spike in cases saw Spain added over the weekend.

Travel firms and airport authorities have been mounting pressure on the government to use wider testing in order to overcome the need for compulsory quarantines, which is hampering international travel.

Hancock confirmed that his officials are looking at reducing the length of the 14-day quarantine by testing international arrivals multiple times after they had returned to Britain. -Agencies

Related News

Protests heat up as curfews imposed in several US cities

Minniapolis, May 31: Civil unrest flared and curfews were imposed in several major US cities on Saturday as demonstrators took to the streets to vent outrage at the death of a black man shown on video gasping for breath as a white Minneapolis policeman knelt on his neck. From Los…

George Floyd died of "neck compression", it was "homicide": Autopsy

Washington, June 2: Two doctors who carried out an independent autopsy of George Floyd, the black man whose death in Minneapolis police custody last week triggered nationwide protests, said on Monday that he died from asphyxiation and that his death was a homicide. The doctors also said Floyd had no…

Modi confident of getting growth back; says onus now on industry

New Delhi, June 2: Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday expressed confidence that India would revert to the high economic growth path if industrialists took advantage of the Rs 20-lakh crore fiscal support package and the opening up of several strategic sectors. According to the Indian Media, Asking the…

Trump threatens to call in troops to end unrest

Washington, June 3: President Donald Trump has threatened to deploy the military if the states fail to take necessary action to "dominate the streets" and "quell" the violent protests that have spread across the country over the custodial killing of African-American George Floyd. During a hurriedly-convened address to the nation…

Former Defense Secretary Mattis denounces Trump and military response to crisis

Washington, June 4: After long refusing to explicitly criticize a sitting president, former Defense Secretary Jim Mattis accused President Donald Trump on Wednesday of trying to divide America and roundly denounced a militarization of the US response to civil unrest. The remarks by Mattis, an influential retired Marine general who…

Floyd’s killing: New charges against 4 Minneapolis policemen as protests continue

Minneapolis, June 4: Prosecutors on Wednesday leveled new criminal charges against four Minneapolis policemen implicated in the death of a black man pinned by his neck to the street during an arrest that sparked more than a week of nationwide protest and civil strife. The added murder charge filed against…

Video

Find Us on Facebook

From Social