Top-ranked Ash Barty pulls out of US Open, cites travel concerns

07/30/2020

Brisbane, July 30: World No. 1 Ash Barty has pulled out of the US Open because she doesn't want to risk travelling during the coronavirus pandemic.

The 24-year-old Australian is the highest-profile player so far to opt out of the August 31-September 13 Grand Slam tournament in New York because of the global health crisis.

"My team and I have decided that we won't be travelling to the ... Western & Southern Open and the US Open this year," Barty said in a statement.

"I love both events so this was a difficult decision, but there are still significant risks involved due to COVID-19 and I don't feel comfortable putting my team and myself in that position,” she said.

"I wish the USTA all the best for the tournaments and I look forward to being back in the US next year."

Barty is yet to decide if she'll defend the French Open title she won last year for her breakthrough singles major. The clay-court Grand Slam event was postponed earlier in the year and rescheduled to start on September 27, after the US Open.

Australia's closed international borders would make it difficult for Barty to travel during the pandemic. Technically, Barty would have to receive permission from the government to travel abroad, and flight options are limited. Upon returning to Australia, travellers face a mandatory two weeks in quarantine.

Other players have expressed concern about travelling to the US, where more than 150,000 people have died from COVID-19.

Barty had to make her decision because entries were open for the Western & Southern Open, which is scheduled for August 20-28 and was moved to the same hard courts at the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center that are slated to host the US Open.

Serena Williams, Coco Gauff, Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal were on Wednesday's initial entry lists — but Barty, two-time Grand Slam champion Naomi Osaka and 2019 US Open champion Bianca Andreescu were not — for the tournament moved from Cincinnati to Flushing Meadows.

Being on Wednesday's lists doesn't necessarily mean a player will compete at the tournament.

No sanctioned professional tennis events have been played since March because of the coronavirus. Both the women's and men's tours plan to return in August. The women's tour still aims to return next week at Palermo, Italy. -Agencies

Related News

Malinga is world’s best yorker bowler, says Bumrah

New Delhi, June 5: India’s premier pacer Jasprit Bumrah has described Lasith Malinga as the “best yorker bowler in the world” and said the veteran Sri Lankan has used his mastery over the delivery for a very long period of time in international cricket. “Malinga is the best yorker bowler…

English Premier League teams prepare for restart with practice games

London, June 7: Manchester United, Chelsea and Arsenal were among the clubs who stepped up their preparations for the Premier League's return by holding practice matches. Clubs are attempting to build up players' fitness as well as get used to playing without fans before the league resumes on June 17…

ICC ratifies interim ban on saliva on ball

London, June 10: Players will be banned from the age-old technique of using saliva to shine a ball when cricket emerges from the shutdown caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, the International Cricket Council (ICC) said on Tuesday. Several other interim measures designed to ensure the safety of players and match…

Qatar 2022 World Cup stadium workers went months without pay, says Amnesty

Dubai, June 11: A Qatari company helping build a 2022 World Cup stadium has been banned from the event's projects after its labourers went unpaid for months, organisers said on Thursday, in a case Amnesty International said showed inadequate worker welfare standards. Around 100 employees of a Qatari subcontractor, Qatar…

Pak ex-cricketer Shahid Afridi tests positive for coronavirus, says 'need prayers for speedy recovery'

Karachi, June 13: Former Pakistan captain Shahid Afridi on Saturday said he has tested positive for COVID-19, becoming the first high-profile cricketer to be infected with the deadly virus. "I've been feeling unwell since Thursday; my body had been aching badly. I've been tested and unfortunately I'm COVID-19 positive. Need…

Gary Kirsten recalls how he landed India coach's job in 7 minutes

New Delhi, June 15: He was never interested in coaching neither did he apply for the job, but it took exactly seven minutes for Gary Kirsten to land the high-profile India coach's job back in 2007, a process set in motion by the great Sunil Gavaskar. Speaking on the 'Cricket…

Video

Find Us on Facebook

From Social