‘Damaging national dignity’: Chinese university announces decision to expel student over relationship with foreign man

07/18/2025

Beijing, July 18: A University in China, in a move triggering uproar on social media, announced its decision to expel a female student in 60 days, saying she violated rules against “having improper interactions with foreigners that damage national dignity”.

In its statement last week, Dalian Polytechnic University also released her name. But it hasn’t been published out of privacy concerns, news agency AP reported.

 

“Your misbehaviours on December 16, 2024, caused a terrible negative impact,” the announcement said, without giving details on what constituted the “misbehaviours”.

This has generated heated discussions across Chinese social media platforms about whether the university has the right to judge her personal life and elevate it to a matter of national importance. Thousands of comments on platforms such as Xiaohongshu and Douyin, the Chinese version of TikTok, flag whether the university has gone too far.

Some questioned whether the institution’s decision is a sign of the “Taliban style” by which a particular nation or group claims ownership over a woman’s body, while a another section of users called out the misogyny and gender bias.

On revealing the student’s identity, state-run newspaper The Paper said it was not just “inappropriate” to publish the student’s full name, but also “may even violate the Personal Information Protection Law”.

“It is improper to graft private affairs onto the public domain for public disposal,” it added.

Connecting the dots amid the outrage, internet users in China have found links of the accused university student to videos posted by a professional Ukrainian gamer Danylo Teslenko, also known as Zeus. An unverified video doing the rounds reportedly shows him being intimate with an Asian-looking young woman in a hotel room.

He met with the student at the final of the Perfect World Shanghai Major, a gaming competition held in December 2024, as per media reports.

Teslenko confirmed on Sunday that he posted “a few videos on Telegram with a girl I met in Shanghai” but later deleted them “as soon as I understood the seriousness of the situation”, according to his post on X.

“Our faces were visible, but there was no explicit content or anything disrespectful in those videos. I have never said that Chinese girls are easy,” the post said.

An email sent to Dalian Polytechnic University by AP was not immediately answered.-Agencies

Related News

India successfully test-fires surface-to-surface ballistic missile Agni-5

New Delhi, Oct. 28: In a major boost to its military might, India on Wednesday successfully test-fired surface-to-surface ballistic missile Agni-5 that can strike targets at ranges up to 5,000 km with a very high degree of accuracy, officials said. The test-firing was carried around 7:50 PM from APJ Abdul…

World needs $5 trillion in annual climate finance by 2030 for rapid action

Climate finance needs to rise sharply to 5 trillion U.S. dollars a year globally by 2030 to fund measures to fight climate change, researchers said on Thursday warning that transformation across economies is too slow to meet international temperature goals. From transport to agriculture and electricity, progress is lagging in…

Airstrike in Ethiopia’s Tigray kills 10, including children

Nairobi, Oct. 29: Children were among 10 people killed when an Ethiopian military airstrike hit the capital of the country’s Tigray region on Thursday, a doctor said. It was the deadliest of a new round of airstrikes that began last week as the year-long war intensifies. International calls for a cease-fire…

Modi holds extensive discussions with top EU leaders on trade, Covid-19, global issues

Rome, Oct. 29: Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday held wide-ranging talks with the top leaders of the European Union here during which the two sides discussed deepening the India-EU friendship, particularly in areas such as trade, commerce, culture and the environment. Prime Minister Modi, who arrived here earlier…

Make India a partner in economic recovery: Indian PM Modi at G-20 summit

Rome, Oct. 30: Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi called upon G-20 countries to make India their partner in economic recovery and resilient global supply chains. Speaking at the G-20 Summit’s inaugural session on economy and Covid in Rome on Saturday, he touched on India’s economic reforms and its willingness to…

Trump wants call logs, aide’s notes hidden from January 6 panel

Washington, Oct. 31: Former President Donald Trump is trying to block documents including call logs, drafts of remarks and speeches and handwritten notes from his chief of staff relating to the January 6 Capitol insurrection from being released to the committee investigating the riot, the National Archives revealed in a…

Video

Find Us on Facebook

From Social

Tehran, June 21: As India presses ahead with Operation Sindhu to evacuate its citizens from Iran amid intensifying hostilities in the Middle East, the Indian Embassy in Tehran has announced that, upon formal requests from the governments of Nepal and Sri…

India to evacuate Nepalese, Sri Lankan nationals from Iran amid escalating tensions    

Kathmandu, Nov. 24: The joint training exercise "SURYA KIRAN-XVII" of Nepali Army and Indian Army is starting from 24 November 2023 in Pithoragarh, India. The Nepalese army team that will participate in the exercise, which will be attended by the…

Nepal-India Joint Military Training Excerise Surya Kiran Begin Today    

New Delhi, May 5: Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi will be the guest of honour for this year’s Bastille Day Parade in Paris scheduled to take place on July 14.  In a statement, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) of…

Indian PM Modi to attend Bastille Day Parade in Paris as guest of honour on July 14