‘My history is being stolen’: scandal-prone Spanish former king to publish memoirs

06/30/2025

Madrid, June 30: Spain’s former king Juan Carlos will publish his memoirs by year end in an unprecedented move by a Spanish monarch, publishing house Planeta said on Monday.

Once revered for his role in Spain’s transition to democracy, Juan Carlos was forced to abdicate in 2014 following a series of scandals that included an affair with Danish national Corinna zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Sayn and the shooting of an elephant in Botswana. He is now seen as a liability for his son, King Felipe.

 

Spanish prosecutors investigated allegations of fraud laid against the former king in Spain and Switzerland, but dropped the probe due to insufficient evidence and the statute of limitations.

The former king’s lawyer said at the time that prosecutors had failed to prove the existence of any wrongdoing or criminal behaviour.

“Reconciliation,” written in first person, aims to highlight his fundamental contributions to the success of Spain’s young democracy during his almost 40-year reign, overshadowed by his self-imposed exile in Abu Dhabi and some of his own mistakes, the publisher said.

“My father always advised me not to write my memoirs. Kings do not confess. And certainly not publicly. Their secrets remain buried in the shadows of palaces. Why am I disobeying him today? Why have I changed my mind? Because I feel that my history is being stolen from me,” Planeta quoted the former king as saying.

The 87-year-old ex-monarch moved to Abu Dhabi in 2020 and has not participated in any official act with the Spanish royal family since. He only returns to Spain for short visits, mainly to sail his yacht, Bribon – Spanish for “rascal” – on its northwestern coast.

The memoirs will tell in detail the private side of a public life, Planeta said, in a book “rich in anecdotes that do not shy away from the most significant episodes of our recent history, nor from the joys and sorrows of his intimate and personal life.”-Agencies

Related News

India successfully test-fires surface-to-surface ballistic missile Agni-5

New Delhi, Oct. 28: In a major boost to its military might, India on Wednesday successfully test-fired surface-to-surface ballistic missile Agni-5 that can strike targets at ranges up to 5,000 km with a very high degree of accuracy, officials said. The test-firing was carried around 7:50 PM from APJ Abdul…

World needs $5 trillion in annual climate finance by 2030 for rapid action

Climate finance needs to rise sharply to 5 trillion U.S. dollars a year globally by 2030 to fund measures to fight climate change, researchers said on Thursday warning that transformation across economies is too slow to meet international temperature goals. From transport to agriculture and electricity, progress is lagging in…

Airstrike in Ethiopia’s Tigray kills 10, including children

Nairobi, Oct. 29: Children were among 10 people killed when an Ethiopian military airstrike hit the capital of the country’s Tigray region on Thursday, a doctor said. It was the deadliest of a new round of airstrikes that began last week as the year-long war intensifies. International calls for a cease-fire…

Modi holds extensive discussions with top EU leaders on trade, Covid-19, global issues

Rome, Oct. 29: Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday held wide-ranging talks with the top leaders of the European Union here during which the two sides discussed deepening the India-EU friendship, particularly in areas such as trade, commerce, culture and the environment. Prime Minister Modi, who arrived here earlier…

Make India a partner in economic recovery: Indian PM Modi at G-20 summit

Rome, Oct. 30: Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi called upon G-20 countries to make India their partner in economic recovery and resilient global supply chains. Speaking at the G-20 Summit’s inaugural session on economy and Covid in Rome on Saturday, he touched on India’s economic reforms and its willingness to…

Trump wants call logs, aide’s notes hidden from January 6 panel

Washington, Oct. 31: Former President Donald Trump is trying to block documents including call logs, drafts of remarks and speeches and handwritten notes from his chief of staff relating to the January 6 Capitol insurrection from being released to the committee investigating the riot, the National Archives revealed in a…

Video

Find Us on Facebook

From Social

Tehran, June 21: As India presses ahead with Operation Sindhu to evacuate its citizens from Iran amid intensifying hostilities in the Middle East, the Indian Embassy in Tehran has announced that, upon formal requests from the governments of Nepal and Sri…

India to evacuate Nepalese, Sri Lankan nationals from Iran amid escalating tensions    

Kathmandu, Nov. 24: The joint training exercise "SURYA KIRAN-XVII" of Nepali Army and Indian Army is starting from 24 November 2023 in Pithoragarh, India. The Nepalese army team that will participate in the exercise, which will be attended by the…

Nepal-India Joint Military Training Excerise Surya Kiran Begin Today    

New Delhi, May 5: Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi will be the guest of honour for this year’s Bastille Day Parade in Paris scheduled to take place on July 14.  In a statement, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) of…

Indian PM Modi to attend Bastille Day Parade in Paris as guest of honour on July 14