Protesters storm South Korean court as it extends impeached President Yoon’s detention

01/19/2025

Seoul, Jan. 19: Impeached President Yoon Suk Yeol’s detention was extended by a South Korean court on Sunday for up to 20 days, which led to violent protests by Yoon’s supporters who stormed the court’s premises, broke windows.

Yoon, who was arrested by the law enforcement agencies from his residence in a dramatic manner on January 15, became the first sitting president of South Korea to be imprisoned as he faces allegations of insurrection for declaration of a short-lived martial law on December 3.

 

As soon as the decision to extend Yoon’s detention was announced around 3am (local time) on Sunday, the protesters stormed the court building and overwhelmed the police and authorities to create a ruckus inside the court premises, destroying office equipment and furniture, Reuters reported.

Police arrested 46 protesters from the site and were able to restore order at the court building which saw Yoon’s supporters swarming the building.

According to the video footage, the police force which was guarding the front entrance of the court faced protesters blasting fire extinguishers at them. The protesters then flooded inside the court premises, reportedly destroying office equipment and furniture.

The Seoul Metropolitan Police, in a statement said, “We will track down till the end more of those who committed illegal acts or instigated and assisted.”

According to an emergency responder stationed near the court building, 40 minor injuries were reported during the chaos but no serious injury was reported.

During the court hearing, Yoon was either set to be free within 48 hours or extend his detention, the South Korean investigators asked the court to detain him for some more time as he had refused to be questioned.

The Seoul Western District Court, which continued the hearing for around five hours and was attended by Yoon, opted to grant the investigators’ request due to “concern that the suspect may destroy evidence,” the court said, Reuters reported.-Agencies

Related News

India successfully test-fires surface-to-surface ballistic missile Agni-5

New Delhi, Oct. 28: In a major boost to its military might, India on Wednesday successfully test-fired surface-to-surface ballistic missile Agni-5 that can strike targets at ranges up to 5,000 km with a very high degree of accuracy, officials said. The test-firing was carried around 7:50 PM from APJ Abdul…

World needs $5 trillion in annual climate finance by 2030 for rapid action

Climate finance needs to rise sharply to 5 trillion U.S. dollars a year globally by 2030 to fund measures to fight climate change, researchers said on Thursday warning that transformation across economies is too slow to meet international temperature goals. From transport to agriculture and electricity, progress is lagging in…

Airstrike in Ethiopia’s Tigray kills 10, including children

Nairobi, Oct. 29: Children were among 10 people killed when an Ethiopian military airstrike hit the capital of the country’s Tigray region on Thursday, a doctor said. It was the deadliest of a new round of airstrikes that began last week as the year-long war intensifies. International calls for a cease-fire…

Modi holds extensive discussions with top EU leaders on trade, Covid-19, global issues

Rome, Oct. 29: Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday held wide-ranging talks with the top leaders of the European Union here during which the two sides discussed deepening the India-EU friendship, particularly in areas such as trade, commerce, culture and the environment. Prime Minister Modi, who arrived here earlier…

Make India a partner in economic recovery: Indian PM Modi at G-20 summit

Rome, Oct. 30: Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi called upon G-20 countries to make India their partner in economic recovery and resilient global supply chains. Speaking at the G-20 Summit’s inaugural session on economy and Covid in Rome on Saturday, he touched on India’s economic reforms and its willingness to…

Trump wants call logs, aide’s notes hidden from January 6 panel

Washington, Oct. 31: Former President Donald Trump is trying to block documents including call logs, drafts of remarks and speeches and handwritten notes from his chief of staff relating to the January 6 Capitol insurrection from being released to the committee investigating the riot, the National Archives revealed in a…

Video

Find Us on Facebook

From Social

Tehran, June 21: As India presses ahead with Operation Sindhu to evacuate its citizens from Iran amid intensifying hostilities in the Middle East, the Indian Embassy in Tehran has announced that, upon formal requests from the governments of Nepal and Sri…

India to evacuate Nepalese, Sri Lankan nationals from Iran amid escalating tensions    

Kathmandu, Nov. 24: The joint training exercise "SURYA KIRAN-XVII" of Nepali Army and Indian Army is starting from 24 November 2023 in Pithoragarh, India. The Nepalese army team that will participate in the exercise, which will be attended by the…

Nepal-India Joint Military Training Excerise Surya Kiran Begin Today    

New Delhi, May 5: Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi will be the guest of honour for this year’s Bastille Day Parade in Paris scheduled to take place on July 14.  In a statement, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) of…

Indian PM Modi to attend Bastille Day Parade in Paris as guest of honour on July 14