Prince Harry settles privacy invasion lawsuit against Rupert Murdoch’s Sun tabloid

01/22/2025

London, Jan. 22: Prince Harry Wednesday resolved his privacy invasion lawsuit against Rupert Murdoch’s UK tabloids, his lawyer announced Wednesday, just as the trial was set to commence.

The decision, revealed in London’s High Court, comes despite the Duke of Sussex’s earlier pledge to hold the publishers of The Sun and the now-defunct News of the World accountable for unlawfully surveilling him, other public figures, and private individuals during times of tragedy.

 

Although Harry had named accountability as a primary motivation — telling The New York Times DealBook Summit in December that he was “the last person” who could achieve it and had no intention of settling — English court rules posed a substantial financial risk. Winning the case could still leave him responsible for an immense legal bill, potentially influencing his decision to settle, as many of the more than 1,300 other claimants have done.

The settlement prevents Harry from pursuing a court verdict affirming his claims that journalists at News Group Newspapers (NGN) engaged in illegal tactics to obtain personal information and that company executives covered up their misconduct.

Harry, 40, the younger son of King Charles III, was one of only two remaining claimants in ongoing lawsuits against the publisher. His case had progressed closer to trial than any other since the 2011 phone-hacking scandal that led to the closure of News of the World.

News Group Newspapers (NGN) issued a full and unequivocal apology to Prince Harry for the serious intrusion into his private life between 1996 and 2011. This apology covers incidents of unlawful activities, including phone hacking, surveillance, and the misuse of private information, carried out by private investigators working for The Sun and News of the World.

NGN’s apology also extends to the impact of extensive media coverage and intrusion into Harry’s private life and that of his late mother, Diana, Princess of Wales, particularly during his younger years. The publisher acknowledged the distress caused to Harry, the damage inflicted on his relationships, friendships, and family, and agreed to pay him substantial damages.

Additionally, NGN admitted that its response to the 2006 arrests and subsequent actions was regrettable, though it made no admission of illegality regarding those events.

NGN also issued a full and unequivocal apology to Lord Watson for the unwarranted intrusion into his private life during his time in government, carried out by News of the World between 2009 and 2011. This included placing him under surveillance in 2009 and misusing private information. NGN acknowledged the adverse impact this had on Lord Watson’s family and agreed to pay him substantial damages.

In a separate statement, NGN admitted that false claims had been made in 2011 about Lord Watson receiving confidential information from within News International. NGN now acknowledges that this information was incorrect and apologizes fully for the false allegations.-Agencies

Related News

India successfully test-fires surface-to-surface ballistic missile Agni-5

New Delhi, Oct. 28: In a major boost to its military might, India on Wednesday successfully test-fired surface-to-surface ballistic missile Agni-5 that can strike targets at ranges up to 5,000 km with a very high degree of accuracy, officials said. The test-firing was carried around 7:50 PM from APJ Abdul…

World needs $5 trillion in annual climate finance by 2030 for rapid action

Climate finance needs to rise sharply to 5 trillion U.S. dollars a year globally by 2030 to fund measures to fight climate change, researchers said on Thursday warning that transformation across economies is too slow to meet international temperature goals. From transport to agriculture and electricity, progress is lagging in…

Airstrike in Ethiopia’s Tigray kills 10, including children

Nairobi, Oct. 29: Children were among 10 people killed when an Ethiopian military airstrike hit the capital of the country’s Tigray region on Thursday, a doctor said. It was the deadliest of a new round of airstrikes that began last week as the year-long war intensifies. International calls for a cease-fire…

Modi holds extensive discussions with top EU leaders on trade, Covid-19, global issues

Rome, Oct. 29: Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday held wide-ranging talks with the top leaders of the European Union here during which the two sides discussed deepening the India-EU friendship, particularly in areas such as trade, commerce, culture and the environment. Prime Minister Modi, who arrived here earlier…

Make India a partner in economic recovery: Indian PM Modi at G-20 summit

Rome, Oct. 30: Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi called upon G-20 countries to make India their partner in economic recovery and resilient global supply chains. Speaking at the G-20 Summit’s inaugural session on economy and Covid in Rome on Saturday, he touched on India’s economic reforms and its willingness to…

Trump wants call logs, aide’s notes hidden from January 6 panel

Washington, Oct. 31: Former President Donald Trump is trying to block documents including call logs, drafts of remarks and speeches and handwritten notes from his chief of staff relating to the January 6 Capitol insurrection from being released to the committee investigating the riot, the National Archives revealed in a…

Video

Find Us on Facebook

From Social

Tehran, June 21: As India presses ahead with Operation Sindhu to evacuate its citizens from Iran amid intensifying hostilities in the Middle East, the Indian Embassy in Tehran has announced that, upon formal requests from the governments of Nepal and Sri…

India to evacuate Nepalese, Sri Lankan nationals from Iran amid escalating tensions    

Kathmandu, Nov. 24: The joint training exercise "SURYA KIRAN-XVII" of Nepali Army and Indian Army is starting from 24 November 2023 in Pithoragarh, India. The Nepalese army team that will participate in the exercise, which will be attended by the…

Nepal-India Joint Military Training Excerise Surya Kiran Begin Today    

New Delhi, May 5: Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi will be the guest of honour for this year’s Bastille Day Parade in Paris scheduled to take place on July 14.  In a statement, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) of…

Indian PM Modi to attend Bastille Day Parade in Paris as guest of honour on July 14