India advises citizens to leave Lebanon amid rising tensions with Israel

08/01/2024

New Delhi, Aug. 1: Amid rising regional tensions, the Indian Embassy in Lebanon has advised Indians to "leave the country" and against travelling to the country.

The Embassy has issued a new advisory urging Indian nationals to leave the country due to escalating tensions following the recent killings of top Hamas leaders. The Embassy's post on Thursday stated, "In view of the recent developments and potential threats in the region, Indian nationals are strongly advised against travelling to Lebanon till further notice," adding the new advise saying, "All Indian nationals are also strongly advised to leave Lebanon."

This latest alert follows an earlier advisory advising against non-essential travel to the region, which did not initially recommend leaving the country. This marks the third travel advisory issued by the Embassy in 48 hours.

The advisory continued, "Those who remain for any reason are advised to exercise extreme caution, restrict their movements and remain in contact with the Embassy of India in Beirut through their email id: cons.beirut@mea.gov.in or emergency phone number +96176860128."

According to reports, there are approximately 4,000 Indian nationals in Lebanon, with most of them employed as workers in companies, construction sector and agricultural farms..

This advisory follows increased hostilities, including a rocket attack on the Golan Heights by Hezbollah that killed 12 children. In retaliation, the Israel Defence Forces (IDF) announced the death of top Hezbollah commander Fuad Shukr in an airstrike on southern suburb Beirut. Shukr, a key figure on Hezbollah's Jihad Council, was reportedly responsible for the group’s advanced weaponry and recent attacks on Israel, including the deadly strike in Majdal Shams.

The IDF described Shukr as a significant threat, overseeing Hezbollah’s strategic operations and advanced weaponry. In response, Hezbollah has condemned the Israeli strike, and both Hamas and the Houthis have expressed solidarity with Lebanon and Hezbollah, calling the attack a dangerous escalation.-Agencies

Related News

India successfully test-fires surface-to-surface ballistic missile Agni-5

New Delhi, Oct. 28: In a major boost to its military might, India on Wednesday successfully test-fired surface-to-surface ballistic missile Agni-5 that can strike targets at ranges up to 5,000 km with a very high degree of accuracy, officials said. The test-firing was carried around 7:50 PM from APJ Abdul…

World needs $5 trillion in annual climate finance by 2030 for rapid action

Climate finance needs to rise sharply to 5 trillion U.S. dollars a year globally by 2030 to fund measures to fight climate change, researchers said on Thursday warning that transformation across economies is too slow to meet international temperature goals. From transport to agriculture and electricity, progress is lagging in…

Airstrike in Ethiopia’s Tigray kills 10, including children

Nairobi, Oct. 29: Children were among 10 people killed when an Ethiopian military airstrike hit the capital of the country’s Tigray region on Thursday, a doctor said. It was the deadliest of a new round of airstrikes that began last week as the year-long war intensifies. International calls for a cease-fire…

Modi holds extensive discussions with top EU leaders on trade, Covid-19, global issues

Rome, Oct. 29: Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday held wide-ranging talks with the top leaders of the European Union here during which the two sides discussed deepening the India-EU friendship, particularly in areas such as trade, commerce, culture and the environment. Prime Minister Modi, who arrived here earlier…

Make India a partner in economic recovery: Indian PM Modi at G-20 summit

Rome, Oct. 30: Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi called upon G-20 countries to make India their partner in economic recovery and resilient global supply chains. Speaking at the G-20 Summit’s inaugural session on economy and Covid in Rome on Saturday, he touched on India’s economic reforms and its willingness to…

Trump wants call logs, aide’s notes hidden from January 6 panel

Washington, Oct. 31: Former President Donald Trump is trying to block documents including call logs, drafts of remarks and speeches and handwritten notes from his chief of staff relating to the January 6 Capitol insurrection from being released to the committee investigating the riot, the National Archives revealed in a…

Video

Find Us on Facebook

From Social

Tehran, June 21: As India presses ahead with Operation Sindhu to evacuate its citizens from Iran amid intensifying hostilities in the Middle East, the Indian Embassy in Tehran has announced that, upon formal requests from the governments of Nepal and Sri…

India to evacuate Nepalese, Sri Lankan nationals from Iran amid escalating tensions    

Kathmandu, Nov. 24: The joint training exercise "SURYA KIRAN-XVII" of Nepali Army and Indian Army is starting from 24 November 2023 in Pithoragarh, India. The Nepalese army team that will participate in the exercise, which will be attended by the…

Nepal-India Joint Military Training Excerise Surya Kiran Begin Today    

New Delhi, May 5: Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi will be the guest of honour for this year’s Bastille Day Parade in Paris scheduled to take place on July 14.  In a statement, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) of…

Indian PM Modi to attend Bastille Day Parade in Paris as guest of honour on July 14