At least 7 dead after series of bomb attacks hit southwest Colombia

06/11/2025

Bogota, June 11: A wave of explosions in southwest Colombia has rocked the country as rebel groups detonated bombs near police stations in the city of Cali and the neighbouring Cauca province, which led to the killing of at least seven people, including two police officers while 28 people were left wounded, including 19 civilians.

The Colombian National Army and police said the country’s police were a “direct target” of the attacks. Colombia’s national police reported at least 24 “terrorist attacks” took place throughout the country including car bombings, firearm attacks and launch of explosive devices.

 

Army and police spokesperson linked the attack to Estado Mayor Central (EMC)-FARC group, which was formed by former members of Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia who broke away and started their own guerrilla force after the group signed a peace deal with the Colombian government in 2016.

However, the Estado Mayor Central group has not taken the responsibility of the attacks and instead accused the Colombian government of not honouring the peace process and going back on it, while giving suggestions to the public to avoid crossfire.

Colombia’s Defence Ministry described the attack as “a desperate reaction by illegal armed groups to the massive operations of the [military and police], which have devastated their illicit structures and economies,” BBC reported.

Cali’s Mayor Alejandro Eder, which is Colombia’s third largest city, said that three explosive devices were detonated on Tuesday. Authorities said the rebels placed the bombs in vehicles that were parked near the police stations. Police stations, municipal buildings and civilian targets were hit in the series of bombings as the South American country’s security crisis deepens.

The serial bombing attack near police stations came a few days after Colombia’s presidential candidate and Senator Miguel Uribe was shot in his head during a campaign rally, and he continues to fight for his life. Uribe, 39, was shot in his head on Saturday in the capital Bogota. The hospital treating the conservative presidential candidate said on Tuesday that he is in a critical condition.-Agencies

Related News

India successfully test-fires surface-to-surface ballistic missile Agni-5

New Delhi, Oct. 28: In a major boost to its military might, India on Wednesday successfully test-fired surface-to-surface ballistic missile Agni-5 that can strike targets at ranges up to 5,000 km with a very high degree of accuracy, officials said. The test-firing was carried around 7:50 PM from APJ Abdul…

World needs $5 trillion in annual climate finance by 2030 for rapid action

Climate finance needs to rise sharply to 5 trillion U.S. dollars a year globally by 2030 to fund measures to fight climate change, researchers said on Thursday warning that transformation across economies is too slow to meet international temperature goals. From transport to agriculture and electricity, progress is lagging in…

Airstrike in Ethiopia’s Tigray kills 10, including children

Nairobi, Oct. 29: Children were among 10 people killed when an Ethiopian military airstrike hit the capital of the country’s Tigray region on Thursday, a doctor said. It was the deadliest of a new round of airstrikes that began last week as the year-long war intensifies. International calls for a cease-fire…

Modi holds extensive discussions with top EU leaders on trade, Covid-19, global issues

Rome, Oct. 29: Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday held wide-ranging talks with the top leaders of the European Union here during which the two sides discussed deepening the India-EU friendship, particularly in areas such as trade, commerce, culture and the environment. Prime Minister Modi, who arrived here earlier…

Make India a partner in economic recovery: Indian PM Modi at G-20 summit

Rome, Oct. 30: Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi called upon G-20 countries to make India their partner in economic recovery and resilient global supply chains. Speaking at the G-20 Summit’s inaugural session on economy and Covid in Rome on Saturday, he touched on India’s economic reforms and its willingness to…

Trump wants call logs, aide’s notes hidden from January 6 panel

Washington, Oct. 31: Former President Donald Trump is trying to block documents including call logs, drafts of remarks and speeches and handwritten notes from his chief of staff relating to the January 6 Capitol insurrection from being released to the committee investigating the riot, the National Archives revealed in a…

Video

Find Us on Facebook

From Social

Tehran, June 21: As India presses ahead with Operation Sindhu to evacuate its citizens from Iran amid intensifying hostilities in the Middle East, the Indian Embassy in Tehran has announced that, upon formal requests from the governments of Nepal and Sri…

India to evacuate Nepalese, Sri Lankan nationals from Iran amid escalating tensions    

Kathmandu, Nov. 24: The joint training exercise "SURYA KIRAN-XVII" of Nepali Army and Indian Army is starting from 24 November 2023 in Pithoragarh, India. The Nepalese army team that will participate in the exercise, which will be attended by the…

Nepal-India Joint Military Training Excerise Surya Kiran Begin Today    

New Delhi, May 5: Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi will be the guest of honour for this year’s Bastille Day Parade in Paris scheduled to take place on July 14.  In a statement, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) of…

Indian PM Modi to attend Bastille Day Parade in Paris as guest of honour on July 14