Israel PM Netanyahu seeks presidential pardon in years long corruption trial

11/30/2025

Jerusalem, Nov. 30: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has asked President Isaac Herzog to grant him a pardon in his long-running corruption case, saying the trial is making it hard for him to carry out his duties.

Netanyahu has always denied the bribery, fraud and breach-of-trust charges. His lawyers told the president in a letter that he still expects to be cleared.

Netanyahu said in a short video released by his Likud party: “My lawyers sent a request for pardon to the president of the country today. I expect that anyone who wishes for the good of the country support this step,” according toReuters.

Herzog’s office confirmed it had received the request and published the letter from the lawyers. The office said the request will go to the Ministry of Justice for its opinion. The justice ministry’s view will then be passed to the president’s legal adviser, who will prepare a recommendation.

Justice Minister Yariv Levin, a senior Likud figure and close Netanyahu ally, will not take part in the president’s final decision.

In their letter, Netanyahu’s lawyers said the ongoing case was widening divisions in Israeli society and that ending the trial would help national unity. They also said the growing number of court hearings was a heavy burden while Netanyahu was trying to govern.

 

Netanyahu said he was being asked to appear in court far too often. “I am required to testify three times a week … That is an impossible demand that is not made of any other citizen,” he said in the video, reported by Reuters. He added he had won repeated elections and held the public’s trust.

Neither Netanyahu nor his lawyers admitted any wrongdoing. In Israel, pardons are normally granted only after a conviction and sentencing. The lawyers argued the president should act now because the public interest required it.

Opposition leader Yair Lapid said Netanyahu should not receive a pardon unless he admits guilt, expresses remorse and steps away from political life.-Agencies

Related News

India successfully test-fires surface-to-surface ballistic missile Agni-5

New Delhi, Oct. 28: In a major boost to its military might, India on Wednesday successfully test-fired surface-to-surface ballistic missile Agni-5 that can strike targets at ranges up to 5,000 km with a very high degree of accuracy, officials said. The test-firing was carried around 7:50 PM from APJ Abdul…

World needs $5 trillion in annual climate finance by 2030 for rapid action

Climate finance needs to rise sharply to 5 trillion U.S. dollars a year globally by 2030 to fund measures to fight climate change, researchers said on Thursday warning that transformation across economies is too slow to meet international temperature goals. From transport to agriculture and electricity, progress is lagging in…

Airstrike in Ethiopia’s Tigray kills 10, including children

Nairobi, Oct. 29: Children were among 10 people killed when an Ethiopian military airstrike hit the capital of the country’s Tigray region on Thursday, a doctor said. It was the deadliest of a new round of airstrikes that began last week as the year-long war intensifies. International calls for a cease-fire…

Modi holds extensive discussions with top EU leaders on trade, Covid-19, global issues

Rome, Oct. 29: Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday held wide-ranging talks with the top leaders of the European Union here during which the two sides discussed deepening the India-EU friendship, particularly in areas such as trade, commerce, culture and the environment. Prime Minister Modi, who arrived here earlier…

Make India a partner in economic recovery: Indian PM Modi at G-20 summit

Rome, Oct. 30: Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi called upon G-20 countries to make India their partner in economic recovery and resilient global supply chains. Speaking at the G-20 Summit’s inaugural session on economy and Covid in Rome on Saturday, he touched on India’s economic reforms and its willingness to…

Trump wants call logs, aide’s notes hidden from January 6 panel

Washington, Oct. 31: Former President Donald Trump is trying to block documents including call logs, drafts of remarks and speeches and handwritten notes from his chief of staff relating to the January 6 Capitol insurrection from being released to the committee investigating the riot, the National Archives revealed in a…

Video

Find Us on Facebook

From Social

Tehran, June 21: As India presses ahead with Operation Sindhu to evacuate its citizens from Iran amid intensifying hostilities in the Middle East, the Indian Embassy in Tehran has announced that, upon formal requests from the governments of Nepal and Sri…

India to evacuate Nepalese, Sri Lankan nationals from Iran amid escalating tensions    

Kathmandu, Nov. 24: The joint training exercise "SURYA KIRAN-XVII" of Nepali Army and Indian Army is starting from 24 November 2023 in Pithoragarh, India. The Nepalese army team that will participate in the exercise, which will be attended by the…

Nepal-India Joint Military Training Excerise Surya Kiran Begin Today    

New Delhi, May 5: Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi will be the guest of honour for this year’s Bastille Day Parade in Paris scheduled to take place on July 14.  In a statement, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) of…

Indian PM Modi to attend Bastille Day Parade in Paris as guest of honour on July 14