Israel’s defense minister says ‘Gaza is burning’ after heavy strikes overnight across Gaza City

09/16/2025

Jerusalem, Sept. 16: Israel’s defense minister said Tuesday that “Gaza is burning” after heavy strikes overnight targeted Gaza City. Defense Minister Israel Katz’s remarks come as Israel has been planning a new offensive targeting Gaza City.

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio, speaking to journalists while leaving Israel for Qatar, suggested the offensive had begun.

“The Israelis have begun to take operations there. So we think we have a very short window of time in which a deal can happen,” Rubio said. “We don’t have months anymore, and we probably have days and maybe a few weeks ago.”

Palestinian residents reported heavy strikes across the city. One strike hit at least three houses in the southwestern side of the city, they said. Medics were searching the rubble for survivors.

“It was a heavy night,” said Radwan Hayder, a Gaza City resident sheltering near the Shifa Hospital.

The Israeli military has not responded to questions for hours over whether the offensive had begun.

Both Netanyahu and Rubio said Monday the only way to end the conflict in Gaza is through the elimination of Hamas and the release of the remaining 48 hostages — around 20 of them believed to be alive — setting aside calls for an interim ceasefire in favor of an immediate end to the conflict.

Hamas has said it will only free the remaining hostages in return for Palestinian prisoners, a lasting ceasefire and an Israeli withdrawal from Gaza.

The war in Gaza began when Hamas-led militants stormed into southern Israel on Oct. 7, 2023, killing around 1,200 people, mostly civilians, and abducting 251. Most of the hostages have since been released in ceasefires brokered in part by Qatar or other deals.

Israel’s retaliatory offensive has killed at least 64,871 Palestinians, according to Gaza’s Health Ministry, which doesn’t say how many were civilians or combatants. The ministry, which is part of the Hamas-run government and staffed by medical professionals, says women and children make up around half the dead.-Agencies

Related News

India successfully test-fires surface-to-surface ballistic missile Agni-5

New Delhi, Oct. 28: In a major boost to its military might, India on Wednesday successfully test-fired surface-to-surface ballistic missile Agni-5 that can strike targets at ranges up to 5,000 km with a very high degree of accuracy, officials said. The test-firing was carried around 7:50 PM from APJ Abdul…

World needs $5 trillion in annual climate finance by 2030 for rapid action

Climate finance needs to rise sharply to 5 trillion U.S. dollars a year globally by 2030 to fund measures to fight climate change, researchers said on Thursday warning that transformation across economies is too slow to meet international temperature goals. From transport to agriculture and electricity, progress is lagging in…

Airstrike in Ethiopia’s Tigray kills 10, including children

Nairobi, Oct. 29: Children were among 10 people killed when an Ethiopian military airstrike hit the capital of the country’s Tigray region on Thursday, a doctor said. It was the deadliest of a new round of airstrikes that began last week as the year-long war intensifies. International calls for a cease-fire…

Modi holds extensive discussions with top EU leaders on trade, Covid-19, global issues

Rome, Oct. 29: Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday held wide-ranging talks with the top leaders of the European Union here during which the two sides discussed deepening the India-EU friendship, particularly in areas such as trade, commerce, culture and the environment. Prime Minister Modi, who arrived here earlier…

Make India a partner in economic recovery: Indian PM Modi at G-20 summit

Rome, Oct. 30: Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi called upon G-20 countries to make India their partner in economic recovery and resilient global supply chains. Speaking at the G-20 Summit’s inaugural session on economy and Covid in Rome on Saturday, he touched on India’s economic reforms and its willingness to…

Trump wants call logs, aide’s notes hidden from January 6 panel

Washington, Oct. 31: Former President Donald Trump is trying to block documents including call logs, drafts of remarks and speeches and handwritten notes from his chief of staff relating to the January 6 Capitol insurrection from being released to the committee investigating the riot, the National Archives revealed in a…

Video

Find Us on Facebook

From Social

Tehran, June 21: As India presses ahead with Operation Sindhu to evacuate its citizens from Iran amid intensifying hostilities in the Middle East, the Indian Embassy in Tehran has announced that, upon formal requests from the governments of Nepal and Sri…

India to evacuate Nepalese, Sri Lankan nationals from Iran amid escalating tensions    

Kathmandu, Nov. 24: The joint training exercise "SURYA KIRAN-XVII" of Nepali Army and Indian Army is starting from 24 November 2023 in Pithoragarh, India. The Nepalese army team that will participate in the exercise, which will be attended by the…

Nepal-India Joint Military Training Excerise Surya Kiran Begin Today    

New Delhi, May 5: Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi will be the guest of honour for this year’s Bastille Day Parade in Paris scheduled to take place on July 14.  In a statement, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) of…

Indian PM Modi to attend Bastille Day Parade in Paris as guest of honour on July 14