North Korea says its new spy satellite photographed White House, Pentagon

11/28/2023

Seoul, Nov. 28: North Korea’s government is claiming its spy satellite photographed the White House and the Pentagon.

According to the state-run Korean Central News Agency (KCNA), North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has seen satellite photos of the Pentagon and the White House, as well as Naval Station Norfolk and Newport News Dockyard in Virginia.

The Associated Press reported North Korea has not released these photographs, and outside experts aren’t sure the country’s new satellite can send high-resolution photographs and perform top military surveillance.

North Korea said it successfully launched the Malligyong-1 l satellite last week. According to the state-run Pyongyang Times, the North Korean leader held a celebration of the launch Thursday.

At the celebration, Kim said the launch “had propelled the country into a new era of space power,” KCNA said, according to the BBC.

Asked later Tuesday about the North Korean claims, Pentagon press secretary Brig. Gen. Pat Ryder dryly responded: “I don’t have any information to provide on what [imagery] the North Korean satellite has captured. . . . I will say that there are plenty of images of the Pentagon and the White House online.” 

Last Tuesday, the White House said it “strongly condemns” the satellite launch. It also said the launch violated United Nations Security Council resolutions prohibiting North Korea from using ballistic missile technology.

“The president and his national security team are assessing the situation in close coordination with our allies and partners,” the Biden administration said in a statement. “We urge all countries to condemn this launch and call on [North Korea] to come to the table for serious negotiations.”

The launch came after two failed attempts back in May and August. Kim also reportedly watched the launch himself.  

South Korea also suspended a no-fly zone agreement with its northern neighbor in the wake of the launch. The zone was near the demilitarized border between the two countries.-Agencies 

Related News

India successfully test-fires surface-to-surface ballistic missile Agni-5

New Delhi, Oct. 28: In a major boost to its military might, India on Wednesday successfully test-fired surface-to-surface ballistic missile Agni-5 that can strike targets at ranges up to 5,000 km with a very high degree of accuracy, officials said. The test-firing was carried around 7:50 PM from APJ Abdul…

World needs $5 trillion in annual climate finance by 2030 for rapid action

Climate finance needs to rise sharply to 5 trillion U.S. dollars a year globally by 2030 to fund measures to fight climate change, researchers said on Thursday warning that transformation across economies is too slow to meet international temperature goals. From transport to agriculture and electricity, progress is lagging in…

Airstrike in Ethiopia’s Tigray kills 10, including children

Nairobi, Oct. 29: Children were among 10 people killed when an Ethiopian military airstrike hit the capital of the country’s Tigray region on Thursday, a doctor said. It was the deadliest of a new round of airstrikes that began last week as the year-long war intensifies. International calls for a cease-fire…

Modi holds extensive discussions with top EU leaders on trade, Covid-19, global issues

Rome, Oct. 29: Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday held wide-ranging talks with the top leaders of the European Union here during which the two sides discussed deepening the India-EU friendship, particularly in areas such as trade, commerce, culture and the environment. Prime Minister Modi, who arrived here earlier…

Make India a partner in economic recovery: Indian PM Modi at G-20 summit

Rome, Oct. 30: Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi called upon G-20 countries to make India their partner in economic recovery and resilient global supply chains. Speaking at the G-20 Summit’s inaugural session on economy and Covid in Rome on Saturday, he touched on India’s economic reforms and its willingness to…

Trump wants call logs, aide’s notes hidden from January 6 panel

Washington, Oct. 31: Former President Donald Trump is trying to block documents including call logs, drafts of remarks and speeches and handwritten notes from his chief of staff relating to the January 6 Capitol insurrection from being released to the committee investigating the riot, the National Archives revealed in a…

Video

Find Us on Facebook

From Social

Tehran, June 21: As India presses ahead with Operation Sindhu to evacuate its citizens from Iran amid intensifying hostilities in the Middle East, the Indian Embassy in Tehran has announced that, upon formal requests from the governments of Nepal and Sri…

India to evacuate Nepalese, Sri Lankan nationals from Iran amid escalating tensions    

Kathmandu, Nov. 24: The joint training exercise "SURYA KIRAN-XVII" of Nepali Army and Indian Army is starting from 24 November 2023 in Pithoragarh, India. The Nepalese army team that will participate in the exercise, which will be attended by the…

Nepal-India Joint Military Training Excerise Surya Kiran Begin Today    

New Delhi, May 5: Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi will be the guest of honour for this year’s Bastille Day Parade in Paris scheduled to take place on July 14.  In a statement, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) of…

Indian PM Modi to attend Bastille Day Parade in Paris as guest of honour on July 14