State of emergency declared as deadly wildfires sweep South Korea

03/23/2025

Seoul, Mar. 23: South Korea has declared a state of emergency as deadly wildfires continue to burn across its southeastern regions, causing widespread destruction and forcing hundreds to evacuate their homes. The interior ministry made the announcement in response to “the extensive damage caused by simultaneous wildfires across the country”, particularly in the provinces of North and South Gyeongsang and the southeastern city of Ulsan.

The Korea Forest Service has issued its highest fire warning level, “severe”, in 12 locations, including the major cities of Busan and Daejeon. Several highway sections in the country’s southeast, including a key route between Ulsan and Busan, have been closed due to the fires.

 

The fires have already claimed four lives, including three firefighters and one public servant, according to a fire agency official. Emergency workers are struggling to contain more than 30 wildfires that have erupted across the country, fueled by strong, dry winds.

The largest blaze is in the rural county of Sancheong, where 260 people have been forced to flee to temporary shelters as flames spread rapidly across hills and forested areas.

The Korea Forest Service reported that the wildfire in Sancheong, which began on Friday afternoon, had already consumed more than 500 hectares by Saturday evening. Despite extensive firefighting efforts, only 35 per cent of the blaze could be contained due to the region’s mountainous terrain and strong winds.

Authorities have deployed nearly 1,600 emergency workers, 35 helicopters, and dozens of firefighting vehicles to combat the flames. However, containment efforts remain difficult due to the challenging geography of the affected regions.

In Uiseong, North Gyeongsang province, more than 400 people have evacuated as firefighters continue battling a blaze that has burned 300 hectares. Meanwhile, dozens of residents in the city of Gimhae have also fled their homes as fires spread.

With the fires rapidly advancing, acting President Choi Sang-mok has urged emergency responders to make an “all-out effort” to extinguish the fires before sunset on Saturday. Authorities remain on high alert as strong winds continue to fuel the flames, making containment efforts more challenging.

Emergency teams are closely monitoring the situation, deploying additional resources as needed. Residents in high-risk areas have been advised to stay prepared for further evacuation orders.

Officials stress upon the urgency of the situation, calling for coordinated efforts to bring the fires under control before they spread further.-Agencies

Related News

India successfully test-fires surface-to-surface ballistic missile Agni-5

New Delhi, Oct. 28: In a major boost to its military might, India on Wednesday successfully test-fired surface-to-surface ballistic missile Agni-5 that can strike targets at ranges up to 5,000 km with a very high degree of accuracy, officials said. The test-firing was carried around 7:50 PM from APJ Abdul…

World needs $5 trillion in annual climate finance by 2030 for rapid action

Climate finance needs to rise sharply to 5 trillion U.S. dollars a year globally by 2030 to fund measures to fight climate change, researchers said on Thursday warning that transformation across economies is too slow to meet international temperature goals. From transport to agriculture and electricity, progress is lagging in…

Airstrike in Ethiopia’s Tigray kills 10, including children

Nairobi, Oct. 29: Children were among 10 people killed when an Ethiopian military airstrike hit the capital of the country’s Tigray region on Thursday, a doctor said. It was the deadliest of a new round of airstrikes that began last week as the year-long war intensifies. International calls for a cease-fire…

Modi holds extensive discussions with top EU leaders on trade, Covid-19, global issues

Rome, Oct. 29: Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday held wide-ranging talks with the top leaders of the European Union here during which the two sides discussed deepening the India-EU friendship, particularly in areas such as trade, commerce, culture and the environment. Prime Minister Modi, who arrived here earlier…

Make India a partner in economic recovery: Indian PM Modi at G-20 summit

Rome, Oct. 30: Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi called upon G-20 countries to make India their partner in economic recovery and resilient global supply chains. Speaking at the G-20 Summit’s inaugural session on economy and Covid in Rome on Saturday, he touched on India’s economic reforms and its willingness to…

Trump wants call logs, aide’s notes hidden from January 6 panel

Washington, Oct. 31: Former President Donald Trump is trying to block documents including call logs, drafts of remarks and speeches and handwritten notes from his chief of staff relating to the January 6 Capitol insurrection from being released to the committee investigating the riot, the National Archives revealed in a…

Video

Find Us on Facebook

From Social

Tehran, June 21: As India presses ahead with Operation Sindhu to evacuate its citizens from Iran amid intensifying hostilities in the Middle East, the Indian Embassy in Tehran has announced that, upon formal requests from the governments of Nepal and Sri…

India to evacuate Nepalese, Sri Lankan nationals from Iran amid escalating tensions    

Kathmandu, Nov. 24: The joint training exercise "SURYA KIRAN-XVII" of Nepali Army and Indian Army is starting from 24 November 2023 in Pithoragarh, India. The Nepalese army team that will participate in the exercise, which will be attended by the…

Nepal-India Joint Military Training Excerise Surya Kiran Begin Today    

New Delhi, May 5: Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi will be the guest of honour for this year’s Bastille Day Parade in Paris scheduled to take place on July 14.  In a statement, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) of…

Indian PM Modi to attend Bastille Day Parade in Paris as guest of honour on July 14