Kremlin says it remains interested in pursuing Ukraine peace talks despite overnight strike on Kyiv

08/28/2025

Moscow, Aug. 28: The Kremlin said on Thursday that it was still interested in pursuing peace talks on Ukraine despite Russia conducting a large and deadly overnight strike on Kyiv.

Ukrainian officials said the attack had killed at least 15 people, including four children, in a strike on the Ukrainian capital that President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said was Moscow’s answer to diplomatic efforts to end its war.

Asked if there was a contradiction between the latest attack and Moscow’s stated desire to make progress in peace talks, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told reporters that both sides were continuing to attack each other.

“The special military operation continues. You can see that strikes on Russian infrastructure, often on Russian civilian infrastructure, by the Kyiv regime are also continuing. The Russian armed forces are also carrying out their tasks,” Peskov said.

He said that Russia was successfully hitting military and military-related infrastructure. “At the same time, Russia remains interested in continuing the negotiation process in order to achieve our goals through political and diplomatic means.”

Peskov has repeatedly said that Russia does not deliberately target civilians and directs its attacks only against military objects.

Ukrainian officials say scores of civilians have died in recent months during Russian strikes on densely populated areas, and thousands since the start of the war.

The Russian Defence Ministry said earlier on Thursday it had targeted military-industrial facilities and military air bases in what it called a big overnight “group strike” that had used hypersonic “Kinzhal” missiles, drones and high-precision air-launched missiles.

The Ukrainian military said it had used drones to strike two Russian oil refineries overnight, part of a rolling campaign by Kyiv to hit the most important sector of President Vladimir Putin’s economy. Russia
confirmed one of the refineries had been hit and that a fire there had been put out.

Asked about the refinery attacks, Peskov said that Russia’s domestic fuel market was fully supplied and that the situation was under control.

Asked about the prospect of a ceasefire in the air between Russia and Ukraine, something that Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko has suggested might be an option, Peskov said no agreement had been reached on such a truce and that negotiations needed to be conducted discreetly.-Agencies

Related News

India successfully test-fires surface-to-surface ballistic missile Agni-5

New Delhi, Oct. 28: In a major boost to its military might, India on Wednesday successfully test-fired surface-to-surface ballistic missile Agni-5 that can strike targets at ranges up to 5,000 km with a very high degree of accuracy, officials said. The test-firing was carried around 7:50 PM from APJ Abdul…

World needs $5 trillion in annual climate finance by 2030 for rapid action

Climate finance needs to rise sharply to 5 trillion U.S. dollars a year globally by 2030 to fund measures to fight climate change, researchers said on Thursday warning that transformation across economies is too slow to meet international temperature goals. From transport to agriculture and electricity, progress is lagging in…

Airstrike in Ethiopia’s Tigray kills 10, including children

Nairobi, Oct. 29: Children were among 10 people killed when an Ethiopian military airstrike hit the capital of the country’s Tigray region on Thursday, a doctor said. It was the deadliest of a new round of airstrikes that began last week as the year-long war intensifies. International calls for a cease-fire…

Modi holds extensive discussions with top EU leaders on trade, Covid-19, global issues

Rome, Oct. 29: Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday held wide-ranging talks with the top leaders of the European Union here during which the two sides discussed deepening the India-EU friendship, particularly in areas such as trade, commerce, culture and the environment. Prime Minister Modi, who arrived here earlier…

Make India a partner in economic recovery: Indian PM Modi at G-20 summit

Rome, Oct. 30: Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi called upon G-20 countries to make India their partner in economic recovery and resilient global supply chains. Speaking at the G-20 Summit’s inaugural session on economy and Covid in Rome on Saturday, he touched on India’s economic reforms and its willingness to…

Trump wants call logs, aide’s notes hidden from January 6 panel

Washington, Oct. 31: Former President Donald Trump is trying to block documents including call logs, drafts of remarks and speeches and handwritten notes from his chief of staff relating to the January 6 Capitol insurrection from being released to the committee investigating the riot, the National Archives revealed in a…

Video

Find Us on Facebook

From Social

Tehran, June 21: As India presses ahead with Operation Sindhu to evacuate its citizens from Iran amid intensifying hostilities in the Middle East, the Indian Embassy in Tehran has announced that, upon formal requests from the governments of Nepal and Sri…

India to evacuate Nepalese, Sri Lankan nationals from Iran amid escalating tensions    

Kathmandu, Nov. 24: The joint training exercise "SURYA KIRAN-XVII" of Nepali Army and Indian Army is starting from 24 November 2023 in Pithoragarh, India. The Nepalese army team that will participate in the exercise, which will be attended by the…

Nepal-India Joint Military Training Excerise Surya Kiran Begin Today    

New Delhi, May 5: Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi will be the guest of honour for this year’s Bastille Day Parade in Paris scheduled to take place on July 14.  In a statement, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) of…

Indian PM Modi to attend Bastille Day Parade in Paris as guest of honour on July 14