Key bridge to US remains closed as Canada police clear protesters

02/14/2022

Windsor, Feb. 14: Canadian police cleared protesters and vehicles that had blocked a vital trade route on the border with the United States, making some arrests, but the bridge was not yet open to traffic on Sunday.

The officers moved in after a tense standoff between Canadian police and demonstrators since Friday when a court order and threats of arrest failed to end the blockade of the Ambassador Bridge in Windsor, Ontario, which entered its sixth day on Sunday.

“Enforcement actions continue at the demonstration area with arrests being made. Vehicles being towed. Please continue avoiding the area,” Windsor Police said in a Twitter post early on Sunday, without saying how many had been arrested.

 

Police stepped up their presence with more than 50 vehicles, including cruisers, buses and an armoured car on Sunday, as the number of protesters dropped to around 45 from roughly 100 on Saturday. Windsor Police tweeted “there will be zero tolerance for illegal activity”.

US President Joe Biden has asked Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to use federal powers to end the blockade of the bridge, North America’s busiest land border crossing. Since Monday, protesters in trucks, cars and vans have blocked traffic in both directions, choking the supply chain for Detroit’s carmakers.

The bridge carries about $360 million a day in two-way cargoes – 25 per cent of the value of all US-Canada goods trade.

“It’s our hope that it will be open today,” Windsor City Mayor Drew Dilkens told CBC News, when asked about the reopening of the Ambassador Bridge. “Police are finishing off some activity that they are dealing with… we are also working on plan to sustain control of this roadway moving forward,” he added.

The “Freedom Convoy” protests, started in the national capital Ottawa by Canadian truckers opposing a vaccinate-or-quarantine mandate for cross-border drivers, entered its 17th day on Sunday. But it has now morphed into a rallying point against broader Covid-19 curbs, carbon tax and other issues, with people joining in cars, pick-up trucks and farm vehicles.

Police moved in early on Saturday, pushing protesters back from the foot of the bridge, but more people streamed into the area in the afternoon and the operation appeared to have stalled.

 

Protests erupted across several cities in Canada on Saturday, with some 4,000 people in downtown Ottawa. Financial capital Toronto had some 1,000 demonstrators, though the police had shut key access roads to the central business district.

In the west, hundreds of protesters choked intersections along the Pacific Highway with vehicles leading to the Canada-US border crossing in South Surrey, British Columbia. Several, camped out near the border crossing, vowed to stay “as long as is needed” until all Covid-19 restrictions are lifted.

Strangling bilateral trade, protests have spread to three border points, including in Alberta and Manitoba.

Canadian police have said the protests have been partly funded by US supporters, and Ontario froze funds donated via one US platform GiveSendGo on Thursday.

Ford Motor Co, the second-largest US automaker, General Motors Co and Toyota Motor Corp all have announced production cuts. Companies have diverted cargo to stem losses during the cuts.

The estimated loss so far from the blockades to the auto industry alone could be as high as $850 million, based on IHS Markit’s data, which puts the 2021 daily flow in vehicles and parts at $141.1 million a day.

“This is the busiest border crossing, so it’s not just automotive,” Dilkens said. “We are talking about things that impact the entire nation here. That’s why finding a resolution is so important.-Reuters

Related News

India successfully test-fires surface-to-surface ballistic missile Agni-5

New Delhi, Oct. 28: In a major boost to its military might, India on Wednesday successfully test-fired surface-to-surface ballistic missile Agni-5 that can strike targets at ranges up to 5,000 km with a very high degree of accuracy, officials said. The test-firing was carried around 7:50 PM from APJ Abdul…

World needs $5 trillion in annual climate finance by 2030 for rapid action

Climate finance needs to rise sharply to 5 trillion U.S. dollars a year globally by 2030 to fund measures to fight climate change, researchers said on Thursday warning that transformation across economies is too slow to meet international temperature goals. From transport to agriculture and electricity, progress is lagging in…

Airstrike in Ethiopia’s Tigray kills 10, including children

Nairobi, Oct. 29: Children were among 10 people killed when an Ethiopian military airstrike hit the capital of the country’s Tigray region on Thursday, a doctor said. It was the deadliest of a new round of airstrikes that began last week as the year-long war intensifies. International calls for a cease-fire…

Modi holds extensive discussions with top EU leaders on trade, Covid-19, global issues

Rome, Oct. 29: Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday held wide-ranging talks with the top leaders of the European Union here during which the two sides discussed deepening the India-EU friendship, particularly in areas such as trade, commerce, culture and the environment. Prime Minister Modi, who arrived here earlier…

Make India a partner in economic recovery: Indian PM Modi at G-20 summit

Rome, Oct. 30: Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi called upon G-20 countries to make India their partner in economic recovery and resilient global supply chains. Speaking at the G-20 Summit’s inaugural session on economy and Covid in Rome on Saturday, he touched on India’s economic reforms and its willingness to…

Trump wants call logs, aide’s notes hidden from January 6 panel

Washington, Oct. 31: Former President Donald Trump is trying to block documents including call logs, drafts of remarks and speeches and handwritten notes from his chief of staff relating to the January 6 Capitol insurrection from being released to the committee investigating the riot, the National Archives revealed in a…

Video

Find Us on Facebook

From Social

Tehran, June 21: As India presses ahead with Operation Sindhu to evacuate its citizens from Iran amid intensifying hostilities in the Middle East, the Indian Embassy in Tehran has announced that, upon formal requests from the governments of Nepal and Sri…

India to evacuate Nepalese, Sri Lankan nationals from Iran amid escalating tensions    

Kathmandu, Nov. 24: The joint training exercise "SURYA KIRAN-XVII" of Nepali Army and Indian Army is starting from 24 November 2023 in Pithoragarh, India. The Nepalese army team that will participate in the exercise, which will be attended by the…

Nepal-India Joint Military Training Excerise Surya Kiran Begin Today    

New Delhi, May 5: Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi will be the guest of honour for this year’s Bastille Day Parade in Paris scheduled to take place on July 14.  In a statement, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) of…

Indian PM Modi to attend Bastille Day Parade in Paris as guest of honour on July 14