‘Factually incorrect and entirely baseless’: India dismisses NATO secretary-general’s ‘Delhi now on phone with Putin'

09/26/2025

New Delhi, Sept. 26: India on Friday responded sharply to NATO Secretary-General Mark Rutte’s claim that Prime Minister Narendra Modi asked Russian President Vladimir Putin to “explain his strategy” on Ukraine after the US imposed tariffs on India for buying Russian oil, saying that the statement was “factually incorrect and entirely baseless”.

New Delhi also said that it expected the leadership of an important institution like NATO to exercise “greater responsibility” and “accuracy in public statements”.

 

Rutte had told CNN on the sidelines of the UNGA session in New York, “This (tariff) immediately impacts Russia because that means Delhi is now on the phone with Vladimir Putin in Moscow, and Narendra Modi is asking him, ‘I support you, but could you explain me your strategy because I have now been hit by these 50 per cent tariffs by the United States.”

Responding to this, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) official spokesperson, Randhir Jaiswal, said on Friday, “We have seen the statement by NATO Secretary-General Mr. Mark Rutte regarding a purported phone conversation between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and President Vladimir Putin. The statement is factually incorrect and entirely baseless. At no point has Prime Minister Modi spoken with President Putin in the manner suggested. No such conversation has taken place.”

“We expect the leadership of an important institution like NATO to exercise greater responsibility and accuracy in public statements. Speculative or careless remarks that misrepresent the Prime Minister’s engagements or suggest conversations that never occurred are unacceptable,” the MEA’s official spokesperson added.

“As previously stated, India’s energy imports are meant to ensure predictable and affordable energy costs to the Indian consumer. India will continue taking all necessary measures to safeguard its national interests and economic security,” he said.

Last month, US President Donald Trump imposed a 25 per cent reciprocal tariff on India and an additional 25 per cent as a penalty for buying Russian oil. Trump, who has announced reciprocal tariffs on various countries since returning to power in January, accused New Delhi of funding the war economy of Russia by buying Russian oil. India has maintained that it was buying Russian oil to maintain the global energy supply and to cushion the Indian consumers from the inflationary impact of rising energy prices.

Modi and Putin last spoke over a telephone call on the Prime Minister’s 75th birthday on September 17. According to PM Modi’s office, he reiterated India’s “full support for the peaceful resolution” of the Ukraine conflict, which broke out in February 2022. On September 1, the two leaders spoke for nearly an hour while travelling in the same vehicle to the destination of their hour-long bilateral meeting after the SCO Summit venue in Tianjin, China.-Agencies

 

Related News

India successfully test-fires surface-to-surface ballistic missile Agni-5

New Delhi, Oct. 28: In a major boost to its military might, India on Wednesday successfully test-fired surface-to-surface ballistic missile Agni-5 that can strike targets at ranges up to 5,000 km with a very high degree of accuracy, officials said. The test-firing was carried around 7:50 PM from APJ Abdul…

World needs $5 trillion in annual climate finance by 2030 for rapid action

Climate finance needs to rise sharply to 5 trillion U.S. dollars a year globally by 2030 to fund measures to fight climate change, researchers said on Thursday warning that transformation across economies is too slow to meet international temperature goals. From transport to agriculture and electricity, progress is lagging in…

Airstrike in Ethiopia’s Tigray kills 10, including children

Nairobi, Oct. 29: Children were among 10 people killed when an Ethiopian military airstrike hit the capital of the country’s Tigray region on Thursday, a doctor said. It was the deadliest of a new round of airstrikes that began last week as the year-long war intensifies. International calls for a cease-fire…

Modi holds extensive discussions with top EU leaders on trade, Covid-19, global issues

Rome, Oct. 29: Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday held wide-ranging talks with the top leaders of the European Union here during which the two sides discussed deepening the India-EU friendship, particularly in areas such as trade, commerce, culture and the environment. Prime Minister Modi, who arrived here earlier…

Make India a partner in economic recovery: Indian PM Modi at G-20 summit

Rome, Oct. 30: Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi called upon G-20 countries to make India their partner in economic recovery and resilient global supply chains. Speaking at the G-20 Summit’s inaugural session on economy and Covid in Rome on Saturday, he touched on India’s economic reforms and its willingness to…

Trump wants call logs, aide’s notes hidden from January 6 panel

Washington, Oct. 31: Former President Donald Trump is trying to block documents including call logs, drafts of remarks and speeches and handwritten notes from his chief of staff relating to the January 6 Capitol insurrection from being released to the committee investigating the riot, the National Archives revealed in a…

Video

Find Us on Facebook

From Social

Tehran, June 21: As India presses ahead with Operation Sindhu to evacuate its citizens from Iran amid intensifying hostilities in the Middle East, the Indian Embassy in Tehran has announced that, upon formal requests from the governments of Nepal and Sri…

India to evacuate Nepalese, Sri Lankan nationals from Iran amid escalating tensions    

Kathmandu, Nov. 24: The joint training exercise "SURYA KIRAN-XVII" of Nepali Army and Indian Army is starting from 24 November 2023 in Pithoragarh, India. The Nepalese army team that will participate in the exercise, which will be attended by the…

Nepal-India Joint Military Training Excerise Surya Kiran Begin Today    

New Delhi, May 5: Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi will be the guest of honour for this year’s Bastille Day Parade in Paris scheduled to take place on July 14.  In a statement, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) of…

Indian PM Modi to attend Bastille Day Parade in Paris as guest of honour on July 14