Any attack on Indian High Commission completely unacceptable: UK Foreign Secretary

07/07/2023

 New Delhi, July 7: Against the backdrop of reported plans by pro-Khalistan elements to carry out a so-called “Kill India” rally to the Indian high commission in London on July 8, British foreign secretary James Cleverly said on Thursday that any attacks on the mission are “completely unacceptable”.

Several accounts on Twitter began posting about the rally this week, saying the rally was meant to “challenge [the] #Indian hand” in the killing of Khalistani separatist leader Hardeep Singh Nijjar, a designated terrorist, in Canada last month.

The development came close on the heels of an attack on India’s consulate in San Francisko and threats to senior Indian diplomats and in Australia, Canada and the US through posters issued by pro-Khalistan elements. India’s external affairs ministry summoned the Canadian envoy this week to protest against the development.

“Any direct attacks on the Indian High Commission in London are completely unacceptable. We have made clear to @VDoraiswami and the Government of India that the safety of staff at the High Commission is paramount,” Cleverly tweeted on Thursday morning, referring to India’s high commissioner in London, Vikram Doraiswami.

The UK high commissioner to India, Alex Ellis, quoted Cleverly’s tweet and posted: “To amplify the importance which @FCDOGovUK attaches to the safety and security of friends and colleagues, and their premises, at @HCI_London.”

The tweets announcing the “Kill India” rally of July 8 featured images of Doraiswami and India’s consul general in Birmingham, Shashank Vikram.

People familiar with the matter said the attempt by Khalistani activists to burn down the Indian consulate in San Francisco in the early hours of July 2 and the threats against senior Indian diplomats in Australia, Canada and the US are being seen as another instance of coordinated action by pro-Khalistan groups.

As with the posters seen in Australia, Canada and the US, the tweets about the July 8 rally falsely referred to senior Indian diplomats in the UK as the “faces of Hardeep Singh Nijjar’s killers in Vancouver”. Pro-Khalistan Twitter accounts also posted a video featuring Sikhs For Justice (SFJ) leader Gurpatwant Pannun, designated a terrorist, claiming Indian diplomats in Australia, Canada, the UK, the US and European countries are “responsible” for the killing of Nijjar.

The latest attack on the Indian mission in San Francisco came a little more than three months after Khalistani activists planted flags at the consulate, broke through barricades and used flagpoles to smash windows.

The Indian side has taken up the activities of Khalistani activists very strongly with authorities in Australia, Canada, the US and the UK and demanded action against them.

During a violent protest at the Indian high commission in London on March 19, pro-Khalistan activists had clambered onto the mission’s balcony and pulled down the national flag from a pole in front of the building. India has then lodged a strong protest with the UK about the violence, and even reduce security around the British high commission in Delhi.-Agencies

Related News

India successfully test-fires surface-to-surface ballistic missile Agni-5

New Delhi, Oct. 28: In a major boost to its military might, India on Wednesday successfully test-fired surface-to-surface ballistic missile Agni-5 that can strike targets at ranges up to 5,000 km with a very high degree of accuracy, officials said. The test-firing was carried around 7:50 PM from APJ Abdul…

World needs $5 trillion in annual climate finance by 2030 for rapid action

Climate finance needs to rise sharply to 5 trillion U.S. dollars a year globally by 2030 to fund measures to fight climate change, researchers said on Thursday warning that transformation across economies is too slow to meet international temperature goals. From transport to agriculture and electricity, progress is lagging in…

Airstrike in Ethiopia’s Tigray kills 10, including children

Nairobi, Oct. 29: Children were among 10 people killed when an Ethiopian military airstrike hit the capital of the country’s Tigray region on Thursday, a doctor said. It was the deadliest of a new round of airstrikes that began last week as the year-long war intensifies. International calls for a cease-fire…

Modi holds extensive discussions with top EU leaders on trade, Covid-19, global issues

Rome, Oct. 29: Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday held wide-ranging talks with the top leaders of the European Union here during which the two sides discussed deepening the India-EU friendship, particularly in areas such as trade, commerce, culture and the environment. Prime Minister Modi, who arrived here earlier…

Make India a partner in economic recovery: Indian PM Modi at G-20 summit

Rome, Oct. 30: Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi called upon G-20 countries to make India their partner in economic recovery and resilient global supply chains. Speaking at the G-20 Summit’s inaugural session on economy and Covid in Rome on Saturday, he touched on India’s economic reforms and its willingness to…

Trump wants call logs, aide’s notes hidden from January 6 panel

Washington, Oct. 31: Former President Donald Trump is trying to block documents including call logs, drafts of remarks and speeches and handwritten notes from his chief of staff relating to the January 6 Capitol insurrection from being released to the committee investigating the riot, the National Archives revealed in a…

Video

Find Us on Facebook

From Social

Tehran, June 21: As India presses ahead with Operation Sindhu to evacuate its citizens from Iran amid intensifying hostilities in the Middle East, the Indian Embassy in Tehran has announced that, upon formal requests from the governments of Nepal and Sri…

India to evacuate Nepalese, Sri Lankan nationals from Iran amid escalating tensions    

Kathmandu, Nov. 24: The joint training exercise "SURYA KIRAN-XVII" of Nepali Army and Indian Army is starting from 24 November 2023 in Pithoragarh, India. The Nepalese army team that will participate in the exercise, which will be attended by the…

Nepal-India Joint Military Training Excerise Surya Kiran Begin Today    

New Delhi, May 5: Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi will be the guest of honour for this year’s Bastille Day Parade in Paris scheduled to take place on July 14.  In a statement, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) of…

Indian PM Modi to attend Bastille Day Parade in Paris as guest of honour on July 14