India has substantial dealings with both Russia & Ukraine, assessment in this regard by the Govt underway: Jaishankar

03/15/2022

New Delhi, Mar. 15: Reiterating India’s position at the UN Security Council, External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar on Tuesday said there is no other choice but the path of diplomacy and dialogue and the need for respect for territorial integrity. He underlined that the Ukraine conflict has major economic implications where India has substantial dealings with both Russia and Ukraine and an assessment on the same is underway.

According to the Indian Media, In his statement in the Rajya Sabha on the matter, Jaishankar said India’s position on the Ukraine conflict has been steadfast and consistent.

“We have expressed deep concern at the worsening situation and called for immediate cessation of violence and end to all hostilities. Our statements at the Security Council and the General Assembly have urged an urgent ceasefire and ensuring safe passage for stranded civilians. We have also highlighted the humanitarian assistance extended by India to Ukraine and its neighbours at this hour of crisis,” he said.

“We have reiterated at the highest levels of our leadership to all parties concerned that there is no other choice but the path of diplomacy and dialogue. We have emphasised to all member States of the UN that the global order is anchored on international law, UN Charter and respect for territorial integrity and sovereignty of states,” he added.

Jaishankar said the Ukraine conflict has major economic implications.

“It’s impact on energy and commodity prices is already visible. The disruption of global supply chain is expected to be significant. India has substantial dealings with both Russia and Ukraine. An assessment in this regard by the Government is underway. However, the House will appreciate that there is all the more need for an ‘atmanirbhar’ Bharat,” he said.

On the government’s effort to evacuate stranded Indians, the minister said over 22,000 Indian citizens have returned home safely, adding that a large number of students elected to stay back despite several advisories.

“Despite our efforts, however, a large majority of students elected to continue staying in Ukraine. We must understand their predicament in this regard. There was a natural reluctance to leave educational institutions and affect their studies. Some universities actively discouraged and showed reluctance to offer online courses. Many of them received conflicting advice regarding safety. The challenges of travel back may have also been a factor. In the period leading to 24 February, the political signals were confusing as well. Public urgings not to be taken in by alarmism and reports of force withdrawals created a confusing picture. The net result was that about 18000 Indian citizens were caught in the midst of conflict when it began,” he said.

“As Hon’ble Members would be aware, a tense situation between Russia and Ukraine erupted into conflict on 24 February 2022. The root causes for this are complex, going back to range of issues including the security architecture, political governance and inter-state politics.”

Jaishankar said the unfolding developments in Ukraine have simultaneously played out in the United Nations, in particular the Security Council, where India is presently serving as a non-permanent member.

“Even while we were participating in the global deliberations of this evolving situation in the UN Security Council, the pressing challenge was to safeguard our citizens and ensure that they were not in harm’s way,” he said.

The union minister also said that more than half the students were in universities in eastern Ukraine that borders Russia and has been epicentre of conflict so far.

Jaishankar said that under the union government’s evacuation mission ‘Operation Ganga’, 90 flights were operated thus far out of which 76 were civilian flights and 14 were Indian Air Force flights.

“As tensions increased, the Embassy of India in Ukraine had started a registration drive for Indian nationals in January 2022. As a result, around 20,000 Indian nationals registered with our Embassy in Kyiv. Most of the Indian nationals were students who were pursuing medical studies in Ukrainian universities that were dispersed throughout the country. More than half the students were in Universities in Eastern Ukraine that borders Russia and has been the epicenter of conflict so far. Students hailed from 35 States and UTs of India with more than 1000 students each from the States of Kerala, UP, Haryana, Tamil Nadu, Gujarat, Maharashtra, Bihar and Rajasthan,” he said.

Jaishankar said the Indian government issued an advisory on February 15 advising Indian citizens in Ukraine to leave the country.

“It (the Embassy) also advised Indian nationals not to travel to Ukraine or to undertake non-essential movements within Ukraine. Members will appreciate that such advisories are extremely unusual and their very issue is itself a serious caution. Further advisories were also given on 20 February and 22 February pressing students to leave Ukraine. Air-bubble restrictions then in force were immediately lifted in consultation with Ukrainian side to increase the number of direct flights. As a result, around 4000 Indian nationals departed from Ukraine by direct and indirect flights till 23 February 2022,” he said.

The minister said the most challenging part of the evacuation exercise was pulling out Indian nationals from Kharkiv and Sumy. “Both the places witnessed heavy shelling and airstrike,” he said.

Jaishankar also said the Indian Embassy is pursuing the repatriation of the mortal remains of the Indian student named Naveen Shekarappa Gyanagaudar who succumbed to injuries in Kharkiv.

During the debate in Rajya Sabha, Opposition members questioned the minister on why the government was late on issuing advisories to Indian students to leave the country.

Congress MP and Leader of Opposition in the Rajya Sabha, Mallikarjun Kharge asked: “Why did we issue advisories to leave later than others, why did our students face danger that citizens of other countries didn’t?”

TMC MP Sushmita Dev also said the government should not use the term “evacuation”, as students had to walk to the border in the conflict region themselves.

Jaishankar in his response said: “When an embassy tells nationals to go home, it is serious. Students didn’t want to leave because universities threatened to cancel their degrees.”

He also blamed “confusing political statements” by the Ukrainian government. “Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy had himself said that there was no need to panic. leaders in Ukraine were saying at the time that people leaving would contribute to creating a sense of panic…Sitting here, it is very easy to pass judgements saying: we should have done this earlier or faster, but please understand what was the situation of the students…who do they listen to?”

Congress MP Anand Sharma, lauding the work done by the external affairs ministry, asked about India’s position at the United Nations Security Council.

Jaishankar said there was national consensus and “most political parties agree with position taken by government that the only way out is to return to dialogue and diplomacy.”

In Lok Sabha, the Opposition agitated over delay in Jaishankar’s statement in the House. Congress leader Adhir Ranjan Chaudhary interrupted the debate on Demand for Grants for Railways to ask why the minister had not arrived in the House.

“In the revised list of business, it is mentioned that Dr Jaishankar will make a statement on the Ukraine situation at 2.30 pm. It is nearly 3.30 pm. Does the government have a right to take the House of the People for a ride?” Chaudhary said.

Chaudhary was informed by the Chair that the minister was in the Rajya Sabha and so had been delayed.

However, when Jaishankar arrived in the House at 4 pm, his statement was again interrupted by the Opposition on the grounds that not only was he late but even his statement copy had not been circulated among members.

Related News

India successfully test-fires surface-to-surface ballistic missile Agni-5

New Delhi, Oct. 28: In a major boost to its military might, India on Wednesday successfully test-fired surface-to-surface ballistic missile Agni-5 that can strike targets at ranges up to 5,000 km with a very high degree of accuracy, officials said. The test-firing was carried around 7:50 PM from APJ Abdul…

World needs $5 trillion in annual climate finance by 2030 for rapid action

Climate finance needs to rise sharply to 5 trillion U.S. dollars a year globally by 2030 to fund measures to fight climate change, researchers said on Thursday warning that transformation across economies is too slow to meet international temperature goals. From transport to agriculture and electricity, progress is lagging in…

Airstrike in Ethiopia’s Tigray kills 10, including children

Nairobi, Oct. 29: Children were among 10 people killed when an Ethiopian military airstrike hit the capital of the country’s Tigray region on Thursday, a doctor said. It was the deadliest of a new round of airstrikes that began last week as the year-long war intensifies. International calls for a cease-fire…

Modi holds extensive discussions with top EU leaders on trade, Covid-19, global issues

Rome, Oct. 29: Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday held wide-ranging talks with the top leaders of the European Union here during which the two sides discussed deepening the India-EU friendship, particularly in areas such as trade, commerce, culture and the environment. Prime Minister Modi, who arrived here earlier…

Make India a partner in economic recovery: Indian PM Modi at G-20 summit

Rome, Oct. 30: Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi called upon G-20 countries to make India their partner in economic recovery and resilient global supply chains. Speaking at the G-20 Summit’s inaugural session on economy and Covid in Rome on Saturday, he touched on India’s economic reforms and its willingness to…

Trump wants call logs, aide’s notes hidden from January 6 panel

Washington, Oct. 31: Former President Donald Trump is trying to block documents including call logs, drafts of remarks and speeches and handwritten notes from his chief of staff relating to the January 6 Capitol insurrection from being released to the committee investigating the riot, the National Archives revealed in a…

Video

Find Us on Facebook

From Social

Tehran, June 21: As India presses ahead with Operation Sindhu to evacuate its citizens from Iran amid intensifying hostilities in the Middle East, the Indian Embassy in Tehran has announced that, upon formal requests from the governments of Nepal and Sri…

India to evacuate Nepalese, Sri Lankan nationals from Iran amid escalating tensions    

Kathmandu, Nov. 24: The joint training exercise "SURYA KIRAN-XVII" of Nepali Army and Indian Army is starting from 24 November 2023 in Pithoragarh, India. The Nepalese army team that will participate in the exercise, which will be attended by the…

Nepal-India Joint Military Training Excerise Surya Kiran Begin Today    

New Delhi, May 5: Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi will be the guest of honour for this year’s Bastille Day Parade in Paris scheduled to take place on July 14.  In a statement, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) of…

Indian PM Modi to attend Bastille Day Parade in Paris as guest of honour on July 14