Israel’s defence minister plans to shift Gaza population to ‘humanitarian city’ in Rafah

07/09/2025

Jerusalem, July 9: Israel’s defence minister has said that he has instructed its military to prepare a plan to move all Palestinians in Gaza to what he called a “humanitarian city” built in the south of the territory on the ruins of the city of Rafah, Israeli media has reported.

Defence Minister Israel Katz told reporters on Monday that the camp would house about 600,000 displaced Palestinians, who were forced to evacuate Al-Mawasi area in the southern region of Gaza. And eventually the camp would house the entire 2.1 million population.

 

Detailing the process, Katz stated that the Palestinians who would enter the camp would go through a scanning to determine they are not a member of Hamas militant group. Katz added that the Palestinians would not be allowed to leave and the entire Gaza population will be held in the zone.

The Israel’s defence minister then vowed that he is poised to implement a plan to allow Palestinians to immigrate to other countries from Gaza, a plan which was originally floated by US President Donald Trump.

Israel Prime Minister, who is in the United States, had supported the emigration plan for Gaza citizens to leave for other countries. During a White House dinner with Trump on Monday, Netanyahu said, “We’re working with the United States very closely about finding countries that will seek to realize what they always said, that they want to give the Palestinians a better future, and I think we’re getting close to finding several countries.”

 

Katz said that if circumstances allow, then the construction of the proposed camp would begin during a 60-day ceasefire that Israel and Hamas are trying to negotiate.

However, the United Nations has previously warned that deportation or forcible transfer of an occupied territory’s civilian population is not allowed under international law. Palestinian authorities or Hamas are yet to comment on the matter.-Agencies

Related News

India successfully test-fires surface-to-surface ballistic missile Agni-5

New Delhi, Oct. 28: In a major boost to its military might, India on Wednesday successfully test-fired surface-to-surface ballistic missile Agni-5 that can strike targets at ranges up to 5,000 km with a very high degree of accuracy, officials said. The test-firing was carried around 7:50 PM from APJ Abdul…

World needs $5 trillion in annual climate finance by 2030 for rapid action

Climate finance needs to rise sharply to 5 trillion U.S. dollars a year globally by 2030 to fund measures to fight climate change, researchers said on Thursday warning that transformation across economies is too slow to meet international temperature goals. From transport to agriculture and electricity, progress is lagging in…

Airstrike in Ethiopia’s Tigray kills 10, including children

Nairobi, Oct. 29: Children were among 10 people killed when an Ethiopian military airstrike hit the capital of the country’s Tigray region on Thursday, a doctor said. It was the deadliest of a new round of airstrikes that began last week as the year-long war intensifies. International calls for a cease-fire…

Modi holds extensive discussions with top EU leaders on trade, Covid-19, global issues

Rome, Oct. 29: Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday held wide-ranging talks with the top leaders of the European Union here during which the two sides discussed deepening the India-EU friendship, particularly in areas such as trade, commerce, culture and the environment. Prime Minister Modi, who arrived here earlier…

Make India a partner in economic recovery: Indian PM Modi at G-20 summit

Rome, Oct. 30: Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi called upon G-20 countries to make India their partner in economic recovery and resilient global supply chains. Speaking at the G-20 Summit’s inaugural session on economy and Covid in Rome on Saturday, he touched on India’s economic reforms and its willingness to…

Trump wants call logs, aide’s notes hidden from January 6 panel

Washington, Oct. 31: Former President Donald Trump is trying to block documents including call logs, drafts of remarks and speeches and handwritten notes from his chief of staff relating to the January 6 Capitol insurrection from being released to the committee investigating the riot, the National Archives revealed in a…

Video

Find Us on Facebook

From Social

Tehran, June 21: As India presses ahead with Operation Sindhu to evacuate its citizens from Iran amid intensifying hostilities in the Middle East, the Indian Embassy in Tehran has announced that, upon formal requests from the governments of Nepal and Sri…

India to evacuate Nepalese, Sri Lankan nationals from Iran amid escalating tensions    

Kathmandu, Nov. 24: The joint training exercise "SURYA KIRAN-XVII" of Nepali Army and Indian Army is starting from 24 November 2023 in Pithoragarh, India. The Nepalese army team that will participate in the exercise, which will be attended by the…

Nepal-India Joint Military Training Excerise Surya Kiran Begin Today    

New Delhi, May 5: Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi will be the guest of honour for this year’s Bastille Day Parade in Paris scheduled to take place on July 14.  In a statement, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) of…

Indian PM Modi to attend Bastille Day Parade in Paris as guest of honour on July 14