Thai court sacks PM over ethics case

08/14/2024

Bangkok, Aug. 14: Thailand's Constitutional Court sacked Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin on Wednesday, branding him dishonest in a ruling in an ethics case that throws the kingdom into fresh political turmoil.

The judges ruled 5-4 that Srettha breached regulations by appointing a cabinet minister with a criminal conviction.

The ruling comes a week after the same court dissolved the main opposition Move Forward Party (MFP) and banned its former leader from politics for 10 years.

Srettha's appointment showed he "has no honesty and breached ethical standards," Judge Punya Udchachon said in reading the court's judgment that "the ministerial position of the prime minister is terminated under the constitution".

The court ruled that Srettha must have known about lawyer Pichit Chuenban's 2008 conviction when he appointed him, Punya said.

Srettha leaves office after less than a year in the job -- the third prime minister from the Pheu Thai party to be kicked out by the Constitutional Court.

Thai politics has endured two decades of chronic instability, marked by coups, street protests and court orders, much of it energised by the long-running battle between the military, pro-royalist establishment and progressive parties linked to Pheu Thai patriarch Thaksin Shinawatra.

Deputy Prime Minister Phumtham Wechayachai will replace Srettha as a caretaker until parliament meets to choose a replacement.

Srettha said he was "sad" to be labelled dishonest, but would abide by the court's decision.

"I respect the verdict. I reiterate that for the almost one year I have been in this role, I have tried with good intentions to lead the country with honesty," Srettha told reporters outside his office.

Srettha was ousted over the appointment of Pichit, a lawyer associated with the family of billionaire former prime minister Thaksin -- former Manchester City owner and longtime bete noire of the kingdom's conservative pro-royalist, pro-military elite.

Pichit, sentenced to six months in jail in 2008 for a graft-related offence, quit the cabinet in a bid to save Srettha when the controversy arose earlier this year, but the court pressed ahead with the case.

Srettha came to power less than a year ago at the head of a coalition led by Pheu Thai, after striking a deal with army-linked parties.

The ruling highlights old divisions in Thai politics between the conservative establishment and progressive parties such as Pheu Thai and its new rival MFP. In the space of a week, the Constitutional Court has dismissed the elected prime minister and dissolved the party that won the most seats at last year's election -- MFP.

Phil Robertson, deputy Asia director at Human Rights Watch, condemned the ruling.

"Thailand's dark era of destroying democracy through unaccountable rulings of the conservative, elite controlled Constitutional Court continues with the dismissal of PM Srettha Thavisin," he wrote on social media platform X.

"The absurdity is palpable! Watch foreign investors head for exits."

Pheu Thai issued a statement vowing to continue to work for the people of the kingdom.

"This is not the first time that Pheu Thai is facing an obstruction. But we will continue working non-stop," the statement said.

"Every time when we fall, we will move forward and get back with more security, for the better lives of Thai people."

The case against Srettha was brought by 40 senators who were appointed by the military junta that ousted the elected Pheu Thai government in a 2014 coup.

Somchai Swangkarn -- one of those who brought the case -- thanked the court for its verdict.

"We merely did our job," he said.

"I believe Thai politics can still continue as normal."

The senate also played a crucial role in thwarting MFP's attempt to form a government after it won the most seats in last year's general election. Senators alarmed by MFP's pledges to reform lese-majeste laws and break up powerful business monopolies refused to endorse its then-leader Pita Limjaroenrat as prime minister and the party was forced into opposition.-Agencies

Related News

India successfully test-fires surface-to-surface ballistic missile Agni-5

New Delhi, Oct. 28: In a major boost to its military might, India on Wednesday successfully test-fired surface-to-surface ballistic missile Agni-5 that can strike targets at ranges up to 5,000 km with a very high degree of accuracy, officials said. The test-firing was carried around 7:50 PM from APJ Abdul…

World needs $5 trillion in annual climate finance by 2030 for rapid action

Climate finance needs to rise sharply to 5 trillion U.S. dollars a year globally by 2030 to fund measures to fight climate change, researchers said on Thursday warning that transformation across economies is too slow to meet international temperature goals. From transport to agriculture and electricity, progress is lagging in…

Airstrike in Ethiopia’s Tigray kills 10, including children

Nairobi, Oct. 29: Children were among 10 people killed when an Ethiopian military airstrike hit the capital of the country’s Tigray region on Thursday, a doctor said. It was the deadliest of a new round of airstrikes that began last week as the year-long war intensifies. International calls for a cease-fire…

Modi holds extensive discussions with top EU leaders on trade, Covid-19, global issues

Rome, Oct. 29: Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday held wide-ranging talks with the top leaders of the European Union here during which the two sides discussed deepening the India-EU friendship, particularly in areas such as trade, commerce, culture and the environment. Prime Minister Modi, who arrived here earlier…

Make India a partner in economic recovery: Indian PM Modi at G-20 summit

Rome, Oct. 30: Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi called upon G-20 countries to make India their partner in economic recovery and resilient global supply chains. Speaking at the G-20 Summit’s inaugural session on economy and Covid in Rome on Saturday, he touched on India’s economic reforms and its willingness to…

Trump wants call logs, aide’s notes hidden from January 6 panel

Washington, Oct. 31: Former President Donald Trump is trying to block documents including call logs, drafts of remarks and speeches and handwritten notes from his chief of staff relating to the January 6 Capitol insurrection from being released to the committee investigating the riot, the National Archives revealed in a…

Video

Find Us on Facebook

From Social

Tehran, June 21: As India presses ahead with Operation Sindhu to evacuate its citizens from Iran amid intensifying hostilities in the Middle East, the Indian Embassy in Tehran has announced that, upon formal requests from the governments of Nepal and Sri…

India to evacuate Nepalese, Sri Lankan nationals from Iran amid escalating tensions    

Kathmandu, Nov. 24: The joint training exercise "SURYA KIRAN-XVII" of Nepali Army and Indian Army is starting from 24 November 2023 in Pithoragarh, India. The Nepalese army team that will participate in the exercise, which will be attended by the…

Nepal-India Joint Military Training Excerise Surya Kiran Begin Today    

New Delhi, May 5: Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi will be the guest of honour for this year’s Bastille Day Parade in Paris scheduled to take place on July 14.  In a statement, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) of…

Indian PM Modi to attend Bastille Day Parade in Paris as guest of honour on July 14