Iranian government official who was key to 2015 nuclear deal resigns under hard-liner pressure

03/03/2025

Tehran,  Mar. 3: A former Iranian foreign minister who was key to the country’s 2015 nuclear deal with world powers reportedly tendered his resignation on Monday from the government of reformist President Masoud Pezeshkian, caving in to pressure from hard-liners.

The resignation of Mohammad Javad Zarif signaled Tehran’s rapid retreat from its outreach to the West as US President Donald Trump intensifies sanctions on the country.

 

Zarif has served as vice president to Pezeshkian and has long been a target of hard-liners within the country’s theocracy. He had tried to resign once before and it remained unclear whether Pezeshkian accepted his attempt to leave the government this time.

The development comes after Iran’s parliament on Sunday impeached Finance Minister Abdolnasser Hemmati, who once ran for the presidency signalling he’d be willing to talk to the US president directly.

While lawmakers focused on their criticism of Hemmati over Iran’s plummeting rial currency, his removal also underscored the danger faced by Pezeshkian, who won election last year promising to reach out to the West to get sanctions lifted.

“Pezeshkian may have worse days ahead,” warned Mohmmad Ebrahim Ansari Lari, a reformist and a political analyst.

The state-run IRNA news agency reported on Monday that Zarif handed in his resignation to Pezeshkian late the previous night, though it was unclear if the president accepted it.

It marked the second time Zarif has attempted to resign as Pezeshkian’s vice president for strategic affairs.

Writing on the social platform X, Zarif said he met Sunday with the head of the country’s judiciary, Gholamhossein Mohseni-Ejei.

“Referring to the country’s conditions, he recommended that I return to university to prevent further pressure on the government,” Zarif wrote. “I immediately accepted.” Zarif did not elaborate on what Mohseni-Ejei told him and there was no readout from the judiciary on the conversation. However, hard-liners had targeted Zarif since Pezeshkian’s election, citing a law that bars people from Iranian public office if they have children holding foreign passports.

Zarif’s children are naturally born US citizens as he had lived in the United States when serving as a local staffer with Iran’s mission to the United Nations in New York.

That had not previously stopped Zarif from rising within Iran’s Foreign Ministry.

Zarif has used resignation announcements in the past in his political career as leverage, including in a dispute last year over the composition of Pezeshkian’s Cabinet. The president had rejected that resignation.

In recent months, things have changed drastically for Iran following Trump’s return to the White House. While Iran’s 85-year-old supreme leader in August opened the door to negotiations with the West, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei slammed it shut again in February.

Trump, while suggesting he was willing to negotiate with Tehran, also has embarked on a renewed “maximum pressure” campaign of sanctions.

Pezeshkian himself on Sunday seemingly followed suit with Khamenei’s new edict.

“My belief was that talks are better but the supreme leader has said we do not negotiate with the US and we will go forward in the direction of the statements of our top leader,” Pezeshkian said.

The US sanctions come as Iran has accelerated its production of near weapons-grade uranium, according to a report by the United Nations’ nuclear watchdog seen by The Associated Press.

Iran maintains its programme is peaceful, but US intelligence agencies assess Tehran has “undertaken activities that better position it to produce a nuclear device, if it chooses to do so”. Iranian officials also increasingly hint they could seek the bomb.

Both Israel and the US have said they won’t allow Iran to make a nuclear weapon, raising the possibility of further escalation after Tehran has twice attacked Israel during its war on Hamas in the Gaza Strip.-Agencies

Related News

India successfully test-fires surface-to-surface ballistic missile Agni-5

New Delhi, Oct. 28: In a major boost to its military might, India on Wednesday successfully test-fired surface-to-surface ballistic missile Agni-5 that can strike targets at ranges up to 5,000 km with a very high degree of accuracy, officials said. The test-firing was carried around 7:50 PM from APJ Abdul…

World needs $5 trillion in annual climate finance by 2030 for rapid action

Climate finance needs to rise sharply to 5 trillion U.S. dollars a year globally by 2030 to fund measures to fight climate change, researchers said on Thursday warning that transformation across economies is too slow to meet international temperature goals. From transport to agriculture and electricity, progress is lagging in…

Airstrike in Ethiopia’s Tigray kills 10, including children

Nairobi, Oct. 29: Children were among 10 people killed when an Ethiopian military airstrike hit the capital of the country’s Tigray region on Thursday, a doctor said. It was the deadliest of a new round of airstrikes that began last week as the year-long war intensifies. International calls for a cease-fire…

Modi holds extensive discussions with top EU leaders on trade, Covid-19, global issues

Rome, Oct. 29: Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday held wide-ranging talks with the top leaders of the European Union here during which the two sides discussed deepening the India-EU friendship, particularly in areas such as trade, commerce, culture and the environment. Prime Minister Modi, who arrived here earlier…

Make India a partner in economic recovery: Indian PM Modi at G-20 summit

Rome, Oct. 30: Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi called upon G-20 countries to make India their partner in economic recovery and resilient global supply chains. Speaking at the G-20 Summit’s inaugural session on economy and Covid in Rome on Saturday, he touched on India’s economic reforms and its willingness to…

Trump wants call logs, aide’s notes hidden from January 6 panel

Washington, Oct. 31: Former President Donald Trump is trying to block documents including call logs, drafts of remarks and speeches and handwritten notes from his chief of staff relating to the January 6 Capitol insurrection from being released to the committee investigating the riot, the National Archives revealed in a…

Video

Find Us on Facebook

From Social

Tehran, June 21: As India presses ahead with Operation Sindhu to evacuate its citizens from Iran amid intensifying hostilities in the Middle East, the Indian Embassy in Tehran has announced that, upon formal requests from the governments of Nepal and Sri…

India to evacuate Nepalese, Sri Lankan nationals from Iran amid escalating tensions    

Kathmandu, Nov. 24: The joint training exercise "SURYA KIRAN-XVII" of Nepali Army and Indian Army is starting from 24 November 2023 in Pithoragarh, India. The Nepalese army team that will participate in the exercise, which will be attended by the…

Nepal-India Joint Military Training Excerise Surya Kiran Begin Today    

New Delhi, May 5: Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi will be the guest of honour for this year’s Bastille Day Parade in Paris scheduled to take place on July 14.  In a statement, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) of…

Indian PM Modi to attend Bastille Day Parade in Paris as guest of honour on July 14